Squirrel drowning in Sheffield

How bad is it getting when people are drowning squirrels in this city? I've heard from a couple of reliable sources that squirrels are being trapped and then drowned in these traps deliberately.

There's the school of thought that this is OK because they are vermin, but at the same time they are part of our natural habitat and are pretty to look at.

I'd be interested in other people's views on this.

Where is this happening? The law states an animal must be killed humanely, and this does not sound a humane way of killing any animal.

I would ring the RSPCA as they might investigate this practice. I cannot believe this is legal.

I know that you cannot release a captured grey squirrell back into the wild, but cannot see that this is an issue here.

they are part of our natural habitat

Only the brown variety:thumbsup:

if that's true, it's awful, vermin or not.

I know of a couple of people who own such traps. A lot of shooting also happens of grey squirrels in Ecclesall Woods.

The car pretty good too

What has your car to do with squirrels ? :confused:

I agree with wondertec.

I can't understand how anyone can get pleasure from killing any creature, where it's classified as "vermin" or not & that term's debatable. I've heard a number of people say how much they hate squirrels for no better reason than they dig holes in an otherwise immaculate lawn. It comes to something when an animal has to suffer and die to preserve a strip of green in the garden.

No animal deserves to die like this! It's murder! Poor little things, why are they doing this, who is doing it? Is it kids having a sick laugh or is it a game keeper of some sort, tho can't quite see what the problem would be regarding squirrels.:o:o:rant:

I watched an animal programme a year or so ago where a a squirrel was trapped in a car wash. An Animal rescue service had to untangle its paw from the mechanism inside the machinery. The poor little thing squealed away whilst they dragged it out. They then took it to have its amputated paw sewn up and was put on a course of antibiotics. A week later they put it to sleep becuase theyre not allowed to let them go!!!

I agree with wondertec.

I can't understand how anyone can get pleasure from killing any creature, where it's classified as "vermin" or not & that term's debatable. I've heard a number of people say how much they hate squirrels for no better reason than they dig holes in an otherwise immaculate lawn. It comes to something when an animal has to suffer and die to preserve a strip of green in the garden.

O K! lets get real! Squirrels are inveterate hoarders and will empty all bird feeders like lightening. I have shot squirrels but derived no pleasure from it ,than to see the bird population getting their fair share of food we have put out for them!

Having said that ,we have discovered a more humane method than to shoot them.Coating all approaching areas with "Vindaloo paste" ,Our bird feeders are positioned on the top of a 6ft pole in the garden! it is now coated in Vindaloo paste. I can tell you that the victims never return ,once they have tried to climb the pole and tried to remove the vindaloo from their fur! The birds continue to feed happily...............................I expect some of the daffter element on the forum will berate me for this course of action! Am I bovverd!

Well that's a lot better than Drowning them mossdog! Shooting is okay, just so long as you make it a clean shot and the animal does'nt suffer.

But why drown them?

I can see squirrels can be a serious problem, if they ever get into roof spaces etc, as they chew through electrical wire and repairing damage they do is extremely expensive.

If these are grey squirrels then they are not native, so should not even be here but seen as they are, there's nothing can be done, only control they're numbers.

Poison can be seen as cruel, due to the fact it causes internal bleeding and the animal dies slowly. Saw a rat die this way, it came out and sat in front of the little heater in the shed and shivered as if it was really cold. It sat and looked at me with very cute, sweet little eye's with that sorry look.

I could'nt let it suffer any longer and swiftly bopped it on the bonse with a size ten shovel. I felt really bad but at least it suffered no longer.