Meadowhall Retail Park car parking megathread

yes you realy have to look for it....as it is hard to find on other buildings

yet again we succumb to the giant multinationals that tread us into the ground whilst running their way to making millions of pounds in profits....

wake up and smell the bull people...

surely for the parking companies to be enforcing restrictions, they have been invited by meadowhall plc...they dont do it out of good will..they are being paid and instructed to do this...

do as i have in the case of rotherham town centre...and boycott the areas...with a well publicised boycott the company will soon realise how much money they are losing and the retailers in turn will pressure them to remove the parking resrictions.....

all too often we lay back and take it up the a..r..e whilst complaining about how unfair we are being treated by society....POWER TO THE PEOPLE..STAND UP AND ACT!!

BOYCOT THEM...there are plenty of other retailers that will welcome your business...try vue at doncaster..unlimited parking!!

:thumbsup:

I am at this stage now, I notice your post was from a while back, what has occured since? I am very eager to know so I know what, if anything, to do next.

Thanks in advance

Sorry thought my reply would appear under newvanandman's post. I am at the stage of recieving the official looking letter on yellow paper. Question, has anyone out there or does anyone know of someone who has been taken further in this action with G24 re: meadowhall retail park?

I took my girlfriend out last Saturday night for valentines... we went to pizza hut and had a nice meal then we went to the cinema. I parked outside toys r us, the car park was heaving, maybe there was somthing on at the arena like usual? ... Anyway we arrived at 7.23pm and left at 11pm and today, Friday 20th i get a letter telling me i've got a £50 fine for parking longer than 3hrs ... on the way out of the cinema we had to walk in the road because of the idiots who park on the pavements even though there are double yellow lines. The point i'm making is i parked my car and spent money in the resteraunt and cinema, which especially in the current climate is supporting local buisnesses, i didn't cause anyone any disruption with my car unlike the idiots that block the pavements every weekend and i get fined, where is the justice in that? ... How would the buisnesses on the retail park and centertainment like it if they were boycotted? i'm so mad i feel like getting some flyers printed and spending a couple of weekends handing them out warning people of the risks. I wouldn't mind if i'd left my vehicle there and caught the tram into the city but it was supposed to be a nice evening out without the kids ... next time i'll stop at home :rant: if they made the car park pay and display with a ticket refund when you use the surrounding facilities surely it would stop all this nonsense:mad:

I took my girlfriend out last Saturday night for valentines... we went to pizza hut and had a nice meal then we went to the cinema. I parked outside toys r us, the car park was heaving, maybe there was somthing on at the arena like usual? ... Anyway we arrived at 7.23pm and left at 11pm and today, Friday 20th i get a letter telling me i've got a £50 fine for parking longer than 3hrs ... on the way out of the cinema we had to walk in the road because of the idiots who park on the pavements even though there are double yellow lines. The point i'm making is i parked my car and spent money in the resteraunt and cinema, which especially in the current climate is supporting local buisnesses

But you didn't park in the car park for the entertainment park - but the retail park?

If the retail park shops are closed then surely the Centertainment management need to do some kind of deal with the owners of the retail park car park in order to keep up business and keep cars of the double yellows.

I am at this stage now, I notice your post was from a while back, what has occured since? I am very eager to know so I know what, if anything, to do next.

Thanks in advance

Sorry thought my reply would appear under newvanandman's post. I am at the stage of recieving the official looking letter on yellow paper. Question, has anyone out there or does anyone know of someone who has been taken further in this action with G24 re: meadowhall retail park?

look on pepipoo it's full of similar stories, the fact it's contract law (a civil matter) very interesting. only fines are enforcable with a court order and it is up to the parking company to prove all matters. besides it looks unenforcable under the unfair contract in law (as in £80 is unreasonable ammount to charge for an hours parking and they are only entitled to damages for trespass)

The other week my friend went to toys r us and parked in the car park (which he assumed was free) at around 8pm. The car park was practically empty.

He then went to the cinema with his daughter, came back to the car and drove off.

Today he has received a fine (with photographic evidence) showing that he stayed for 3 hours and 8 mins. Apparently you are only allowed to park here for 3 hours free of charge. For staying 8 mins longer than he should he has been fined £95 or £75 if he pays it within 7 days.

This is not council run but a company based down south.

My friend is not an idiot and he always accepts personally responsibility for his actions, but what he would like to know is that is the signage explaining this 3 hour limit plainly on display because he can’t remember seeing any?

Also, he has searched on the internet and a lot of people have complained about this company because everybody seems to be fined for being exactly 8 mins over due. But then again this just be co-incidence.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

yes its true a lot of kfc car parks have them as well now i know i work on the equipment they use and been done even at work

But you didn't park in the car park for the entertainment park - but the retail park?

If the retail park shops are closed then surely the Centertainment management need to do some kind of deal with the owners of the retail park car park in order to keep up business and keep cars of the double yellows.

We went to pizza hut on the retail park then walked to cineworld, who in their right mind would move the car 50yds into the cineworld carpark especially when it was as busy as it was last saturday ... not me that's for certain ... i think in future we'll use the cinema in meadowhall which is a shame because there are some nice restraunts at the retail park and centertainment .... your point about using the retail park carpark as an overspill when the shops are closed obviously makes too much sense ;)

This keeps cropping up and if you genuinely parked at the retail park and did not know or see the notices of restriction, then you are innocent. Knowing their is a parking contract means you agree to the contract. When I was caught in August by their cameras I was 12 mins over the 3 hour max. The signage was inadequate and well above eye level from the car and as a pedestrian.

There is even a footpath from the car park to Centretainment. G24 aren't trying to prevent the wrong people using a car park, they're trying to trick you into paying huge and extortionate fines.

After ignoring them and heeding pepipoo.co.uk advice, I finally wrote to them and gave the name of a friendly solicitor.

Before anyone gets sanctimonious and says "You should see the signs" "You're on private land" - I disagree, this land was funded by the regeneration projects of the 80's and 90's. This land belongs to the people of Sheffield. I refuse to pay a fine that is triple the charge if I'd parked on double yellow lines. Bring it on!! PS: Since my letter a month ago, their stream of warnings and last warnings and even phone calls has stopped. As I pointed out, They photographed me driving in, they saw me leave, NO ONE SAW ME PARK!!!! How can I pay a parking fine if I drove round and round for any length of time?? How can they prove I was stationary for more than 3 hours?? If they genuinely don't want me on their land, why give me three hours on a saturday night? Its all bull!! Its not a city centre, its not outside a house or someowhere requiring truck access... don't pay

I took my girlfriend out last Saturday night for valentines... we went to pizza hut and had a nice meal then we went to the cinema. I parked outside toys r us, the car park was heaving, maybe there was somthing on at the arena like usual?

Or perhaps it was Valentines Day....oh, yeah it was - that is the reason it was busy. Seriously, we got (to put it bluntly) shafted at the cinema last Saturday from early afternoon onwards. The restaurants were pretty much the same. Regardless of whether there was anything on at Arena, the car park was full from ours and the restaurants patrons (to give an idea, we did over 11 thousand admissions last Saturday alone).

Different car-park owners, and they don't seem to be interested in making any allowances.

Personally I agree entirely with the idea that they should allow parking after the shops are closed (after all, they no longer have to be concerned about their patrons)

Edited by Beakerzoid

I've just been told why it was so busy around the retail park last saturday, it had nothing to do with valentines day at all ... the steelers were playing nottingham at home ... We went into cineworld and it was fairly quiet compared with the weekend before. As i said before i'll probably use meadowhall cinema more now which is a shame because the cineworld cinema is better by far, but you get fed up with faceless companies pulling your trousers down and trying to shaft you, it's time they realised that if you look after people they will come back and bring others but if people hear bad comments they'll run for the hills. :rant: Here endeth my rant i'll try to put it behind me and move on