Meadowhall Retail Park car parking megathread

Maybe they should just erect barriers and close the retail car park after 2000, that way there's no confusion. It's private land and you have no right to park there.

Or alternatively add barriers and ticket machines and make it £4.00 parking after 2000. (Or £10 or £75 if they wish).

well u do have a right to park there its just there saying if you overstay by three hours then u get a ticket the problem is pal since i have to spell it out to you is that they have no right giving you a ticket and no authority so think before u speak.

I too have received the notification of a fine. It came on a sheet of A4 with a photo of my car arriving - 19.30 on sat 2nd aug - and leaving - 22.25.

I'm not an idiot, I read signs, but after going round and round centretainment, 10 mins before the film, I decided rather than park on a pavement like so many were doing, I'd see if the retail park was empty

The whole park with many hundreds of spaces had about a dozen cars. We parked outside ToysRus, which was quiet and maybe even closed though I took no notice, even if a hundred other cars followed me, every shop had car parking space to spare.

The fine is £95 or £75 if I pay in 2 weeks. I need to get back to look at the signs. If they are big and clear I will cough up, but I don't understand the size of the fine

This was open and unused land, a short walk from an overcrowded centretainment car park

having watched Batman that night, my thoughts are very very dark at the moment

I too have received the notification of a fine. It came on a sheet of A4 with a photo of my car arriving - 19.30 on sat 2nd aug - and leaving - 22.25.

I'm not an idiot, I read signs, but after going round and round centretainment, 10 mins before the film, I decided rather than park on a pavement like so many were doing, I'd see if the retail park was empty

The whole park with many hundreds of spaces had about a dozen cars. We parked outside ToysRus, which was quiet and maybe even closed though I took no notice, even if a hundred other cars followed me, every shop had car parking space to spare.

The fine is £95 or £75 if I pay in 2 weeks. I need to get back to look at the signs. If they are big and clear I will cough up, but I don't understand the size of the fine

This was open and unused land, a short walk from an overcrowded centretainment car park

Dont pay

dont contact them

file any letters

forget about it

well u do have a right to park there its just there saying if you overstay by three hours then u get a ticket the problem is pal since i have to spell it out to you is that they have no right giving you a ticket and no authority so think before u speak.

I'm not your pal. And I'm typing, not speaking.

So, if you're going to the cinema, you do not have any right to park in the retail park, they are completely separate and both private property.

They have every right to send you the bill that they send since by parking you accept the terms and conditions that are signed all over the car park. It's their land, not yours, park on your drive if you want to set the terms and conditions.

Ive been up and had a look and there are signs, theres one on the way in but its quite high from a driving point of view. Also there are some in the middle of the car park and on various lamp posts around the car park. Still they can go ..... its not reasonable and i aint paying it ive looked into it and they have no real power they can take you to court but its really unlikely as they would have to pay for all the fees. I ve had a cinema card for four years now so i go quite regulary and ive never see them before so why would i be looking for them now. Thats how they got my details. If ya spend your life looking at every sign youll go mad ha ha

I'm not your pal. And I'm typing, not speaking.

So, if you're going to the cinema, you do not have any right to park in the retail park, they are completely separate and both private property.

They have every right to send you the bill that they send since by parking you accept the terms and conditions that are signed all over the car park. It's their land, not yours, park on your drive if you want to set the terms and conditions.

The fact is they cant do nothing and wont,when you dont pay.So get off your high chair and learn the LAW and the facts.

They have to prove it was YOU that parked(you dont have to tell them).

They have to prove you entered into contract,Which is doubtful they could

The amount charged does not equate to the amount they suffered as a consequence.

Only idiots pay,these invoices,NOT fines.

It would be a lot simpler if they all charged for parking. It amazes me how car drivers spend thousands on the car/insurance/tax/petrol and then get niggardly about a few pounds in parking fees. I think it's known as 'Penny Wise Pound Foolish'.

I'm not an idiot, I read signs, but after going round and round centretainment, 10 mins before the film, I decided rather than park on a pavement like so many were doing

Didn't you also get caught in the bus gate?

.... It came on a sheet of A4 with a photo of my car arriving - 19.30 on sat 2nd aug - and leaving - 22.25.

If there's a 3 hour limit to parking, then I can't see how they can fine/invoice you for staying 2hrs 55 mins.....

The fact is they cant do nothing and wont,when you dont pay.So get off your high chair and learn the LAW and the facts.

They have to prove it was YOU that parked(you dont have to tell them).

They have to prove you entered into contract,Which is doubtful they could

The amount charged does not equate to the amount they suffered as a consequence.

Only idiots pay,these invoices,NOT fines.

The law is that they can take you to court to enforce the contract you agreed to by staying in the car park.

That is the law and part of the facts.

It's the vehicle that they have to prove was parked, the owner is liable for it.

It's well established in case law that if you stay in the car park and the signs are prominent and clear then you have accepted it.

They are free to set a charge within reason, £75 for 3 hours is not unreasonable.

Only idiots park where they shouldn't.

Ive been up and had a look and there are signs, theres one on the way in but its quite high from a driving point of view. Also there are some in the middle of the car park and on various lamp posts around the car park. Still they can go ..... its not reasonable and i aint paying it ive looked into it and they have no real power they can take you to court but its really unlikely as they would have to pay for all the fees. I ve had a cinema card for four years now so i go quite regulary and ive never see them before so why would i be looking for them now. Thats how they got my details. If ya spend your life looking at every sign youll go mad ha ha

That's how they got your details?

From your cinema card? No, they got them from the DVLA for £2.50.

Only idiots park where they shouldn't.
Does that include Council parking attendants in their non-emergency cars and police cars without their lights on?