The hanover - a good pub

Wouldn't want to speak ill of the guy when he can't defend himself, but he hated me for some reason. First time I'd ever been barred from anywhere (though not the last).

I really wouldn't want to slag the present landlord off too much. I'm not kidding, the food is good, and good value. I think he's at least making a bit of an effort which no - one else has bothered to do for years.

I had my birthday party there after a recommendation re new landlord and his cooking. Trevor the landlord is new as is the decor, carpets etc. The pub is great as are the staff. Trevor cooks the most amazing curries and party food. I'm going to be a regular visitor as I work in town and can drop by after work. So thank you Trevor for a lovely party.

Is it mainly a gay bar now or has it a good mix.

Is it mainly a gay bar now or has it a good mix.

lol whered that come from, im unaware anybody in this thread even mentioned gays??

has the street dealing in broomhall been eradicated / moved on like it has up pitsmoor?

never been in the hannover, not being from that end of town, although we went in the blues club once.....cjs?

yeah the food is cheap and the portions generous. there's far worse boozers to live round the corner from for sure.

I was living in the area in the mid 80s.4 and it was a fairly lively place. Basically the Hanover never recovered from when it was under the tyrannical reign of some nut called Les, who barred all the regulars the OP will remember. There was even a 'Hanover Boycott' balloon on display at I think the '86 Broomhall Festival. Total headcase.

The guy in question was an x copper, A total bigot and racist, He almost cried when the area manager telled him he had two days to pack is things and get out.

y dad was a regular in there years ago when he lived in the area His name was Charlie Hutchinson and he was jamaican, he moved to the upperthorpe aIrea until his death in 2007 does anyone remember him I went in there a few times myself a few years ago when mandy had it stopped goin in though when some idiots off the estate put all the windows through because of some gang feud other than that i found it a very cosy little pub with some lovely people in

yeah heard its a gay curry house now

I love this pub - I am 30 years old and have been drinking in this pub for years - it is a great local pub and everyone is friendly and like to have a good laugh, the current owners are really great and put on the best buffet's in the world!! Don't knock it til you've tried it!!

Excellent pub.

Me and a friend went in last saturday and had a brill night.

The customers are welcoming and friendly, and yes the landlord put on a curry buffy which was out of this world.

The music was really good too. It made a change to walk into a pub which wasn't playing the top 40 or various dance tunes. Instead it was Northern Soul, Motown, and 60's. Very refreshing. Hope to go there again in a few weeks time.