Anyone remember Marcus St at Pitsmoor?

Kidorry. You must be one of the Dempseys. I remember playing football on some waste land by your house in the Wicker area. A gang of us used to come down the hill from the Marcus Street area every Sunday. Dick and Jack used to play with a number of you Dempseys and we used to be half a dozen of or so. Your two houses were the only ones there and you shared a yard. Can you run through all your names and relative ages? I beleive there was a OXO factory at one side and Snows factory the other with the Harlequin pub not far away. Don Morely had joined us by then and we had some cracking games. I can't pick out anyone from the photo except perhaps your oldest brother who used to play with us but he was older than that photo.

Falls (don't know your name!). I saw Ronnie King about 5 years ago at our City Grammar 1948 intake reunion at the St Pauls Hotel in Sheffield. First time for about 50 years!

Kidorry. You must be one of the Dempseys. I remember playing football on some waste land by your house in the Wicker area. A gang of us used to come down the hill from the Marcus Street area every Sunday. Dick and Jack used to play with a number of you Dempseys and we used to be half a dozen of or so. Your two houses were the only ones there and you shared a yard. Can you run through all your names and relative ages? I beleive there was a OXO factory at one side and Snows factory the other with the Harlequin pub not far away. Don Morely had joined us by then and we had some cracking games. I can't pick out anyone from the photo except perhaps your oldest brother who used to play with us but he was older than that photo.

Falls (don't know your name!). I saw Ronnie King about 5 years ago at our City Grammar 1948 intake reunion at the St Pauls Hotel in Sheffield. First time for about 50 years!

Will send you a pm.

Hi,

If its your brother "J", give him my best wishes and tell him Ive still got the scar on my forehead where he once hit me with a brick. You'd think it would have faded away by now. After all, its only 70 years!!!

As for the Barnett's, I dont recognise anybody in particular although the goalie looks familiar.

Regards

The goalie is Jack Barnett and Dick Is the second one kneeling down from the right.

• 2 months later...

Hello Frankie,

I'm Alan France, (new to the Forum) and was born in 1943 @ 26ct 1 hse on Marcus Street, so your house would have been in a big yard containing 5 houses, with another two houses, 26/1 and 26/2 in a smaller yard within the bigger one. You could access this yard in two ways, one was up a passage from Marcus Street, and the other from Marcus Walk, which ran from Marcus Street up to Neville Street. If this rings any bells, your house was located about midway between Rock Street and Brunswick Road, but was nowhere near the "Bull Rocks" which were much nearer the Brunswick Road end. At the bottom of Marcus Walk was a local shop, and on the other side of Marcus Street was a pub, but don't remember it's name.

Hope this helps, and jogs your memory. If it does, would love to hear from you.

Regards

Alan

Don't remember you, Alan, but then I'm much older, born 1936. Our address was 3/1, Bruswick Road side of the "owd 'ill" and our yard had six houses and did overlook the "Bull Rocks" and the Fiery Jack tunnel linking the LNER to the LMS railways. We used this tunnel as our air raid shelter although we had Anderson Shelters and a brick one in our yard. There was a boy called France who came to Pye Bank when I was about 10, I think. My uncle, George (Son) Thorpe lived just the other side of Marcus Walk with his wife Elenor and children Doreen, Jean and Charlie, who were all older than me.

Don't remember you, Alan, but then I'm much older, born 1936. Our address was 3/1, Bruswick Road side of the "owd 'ill" and our yard had six houses and did overlook the "Bull Rocks" and the Fiery Jack tunnel linking the LNER to the LMS railways. We used this tunnel as our air raid shelter although we had Anderson Shelters and a brick one in our yard. There was a boy called France who came to Pye Bank when I was about 10, I think. My uncle, George (Son) Thorpe lived just the other side of Marcus Walk with his wife Elenor and children Doreen, Jean and Charlie, who were all older than me.

Hi

You must have lived some where here then Frank.

I have been racking my bit of brain trying to remember the name of that small firm that was right beside the bull rocks?

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13910&pos=30&action=zoom&id=16754

Just had a thought was it Whitby and chandler?

Edited by kidley
brain started working

Hello Frankie,

I'm Alan France, (new to the Forum) and was born in 1943 @ 26ct 1 hse on Marcus Street, so your house would have been in a big yard containing 5 houses, with another two houses, 26/1 and 26/2 in a smaller yard within the bigger one. You could access this yard in two ways, one was up a passage from Marcus Street, and the other from Marcus Walk, which ran from Marcus Street up to Neville Street. If this rings any bells, your house was located about midway between Rock Street and Brunswick Road, but was nowhere near the "Bull Rocks" which were much nearer the Brunswick Road end. At the bottom of Marcus Walk was a local shop, and on the other side of Marcus Street was a pub, but don't remember it's name.

Hope this helps, and jogs your memory. If it does, would love to hear from you.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan It certainly rang some bells just mentioning Marcus Walk,I remember playing on those railings going down the middle and going to the beer off shop for my dad on a Sunday for a bottle of cider,was your house opposite the Sportsman pub? I seem to remember a lass I went to school with live in one of those houses just passed the Sportsman I think her second name was Taylor,you spoke of a entry in Marcus Street, I had a younger brother who liked a lass called Chambers lived in a house at the bottom of the entry I hope I have stirred a few memories many thanks

---------- Post added 21-01-2013 at 11:40 ----------

Hi Alan It certainly rang some bells just mentioning Marcus Walk,I remember playing on those railings going down the middle and going to the beer off shop for my dad on a Sunday for a bottle of cider,was your house opposite the Sportsman pub? I seem to remember a lass I went to school with live in one of those houses just passed the Sportsman I think her second name was Taylor,you spoke of a entry in Marcus Street, I had a younger brother who liked a lass called Chambers lived in a house at the bottom of the entry I hope I have stirred a few memories many thanks

Its me again I lived on Fitzalan St no 71 just above the barbers shop on the corner of Marcus St and Fitzalan St I am not sure if I had put that in before