Anyone remember Marcus St at Pitsmoor?

My dad said we moved away from Marcus Street to "better us sens" (only kidding!) We went from Pitsmoor to Page Hall...

does anyone remember the cobblers shop ,i think it was at top of gennel the old fella there was attacked by teddy boys i think. there was also someone named dirty harry that was taken for a bath once

Edited by spider legs

,hi there , just joined the forum ,i lived on marcus street at verdon street end no 32 i think, it was a back to back house ,some of names i recall were lucas, white, gott, scaife and robinson, does any one remember mick gott having a goat that escaped and chased dave thompson down road,also there was the timbles on verdon street does any one know any of them .

Hi,

I remember Mick Gott and his goat, he also has a sister but I can't remember her name

Didn't both she and the goat have the same name, and weren't they never seen together?? :D

does anyone remember the cobblers shop ,i think it was at top of gennel the old fella there was attacked by teddy boys i think. there was also someone named dirty harry that was taken for a bath once

There was a sort of gennel from Spital Street to Marcus Street, just a short cobbled way if I remember right. And next to it at the Spital Street end was a Pawn shop. I believe he was robbed a few times.

there was a cobblers shop on rock st bus stop out side his shop tunnel was called firey jack ........ps doesany onerecall a girl called Irene middleton lived down denhome st

mick gott married to my cousin brenda, i think his sisters name was maureen . Brenda and mick went to live on a farm at manor top. tragically mick not hear anymore. does tony widdison ring a bell with anyone? or can anyone remember smarts that lived on verdon street .there son roy died in a diving accident?

The nearest cobbler's shop to Marcus Street was in Spital Street just around the corner fron the Merry Heart pub, it was owned by little Tommy Shaw.

mick gott married to my cousin brenda, i think his sisters name was maureen . Brenda and mick went to live on a farm at manor top. tragically mick not hear anymore. does tony widdison ring a bell with anyone? or can anyone remember smarts that lived on verdon street .there son roy died in a diving accident?

I seem to recall Mick Gott's sister was called Christine, but I could be mistaken.

The name Widdison ring's a bell, I think he was a class mate of my older brother. If it's the same person I am thinking about he will be about 65 now.

Edited by pitsmoorboy

I like Frankie Rage lived as child from 1956 to 1959 in Court 22 Marcus Street. If you go on Picture Sheffield. com. there are 10 photos of the street taken before it was demolished. It was a massive suprise to see the court I lived had been photographed. According to my auntie the shop nearby was run by a Mrs Brumby. When I went back a few years ago the road seemed to be covered in trees and grassland near the flats.

Hi Frankie,

I lived on Fox Hill which was exactly opposite the end of Marcus St. as it crossed Rock Street. I think the houses numbered from the Brunswick Rd end, (nearest the Town) so you were at Court 28 / House no. 5, in that Court. This was the only hilly part of Marcus St, which was from Rock Street to Fitzalan St. Bottom of the hilly part was the Fitzalan Tavern.

So the shop at the top of the hill would be the Newsagents on the corner Rock Street/ Marcus St. At the other end of the parade of shops Rock St / Sone St. was Caira's.

By the way my Dad looked after Obourne St "Wembley" till he retired.

Hi Capricorn its been over 2 years since you posted this but I think I remember your Dad..Did he work on the new park built at the back of Marcus Drive after Wembley closed down...I remember a keeper the image of Derek Guyler the attendant in the Fenn St Gang he would have retired in the early 70s.

pitsmoor boy you were right her name was christine. tony widdison will be around 65 , he was brought up by his nan ,but he had a sister and a brother but they didnt live with him,he moved to eastbank road and went to hurlfield school