Anyone remember Marcus St at Pitsmoor?

I lived there as a baby in 1955/56/57 but it is long gone.

I think it was on a hill and there was a shop at the top of the hill?

Marcus St ran from Rock St acoss Fitzalan St to I think as far as Orborne st, I lived on fitzalan st in a yard, the houses on the left side of the yard their front doors were in marcus st,at the rock st end there was a newsagent called Cutts i took papers for him. On the corner of marcus and fitzalan was a barbers shop who did very good business at whitsontide,I remember it very well

i lived on Spital street wasnt there some body what lived on Marcus Street called Dury

i will just confirm it was her name Christine Gott

i lived on Spital street wasnt there some body what lived on Marcus Street called Dury

i will just confirm it was her name Christine Gott

Cant say I remember the name, one of the houses I mentioned in the yard, their front door in Marcus St,their name was Stuart,I was a friend of Brain Stuart, over the wall was a family called Martin,and on the other side of Marcus st Was a family called Chapmanand next door was Dewsnaps, and a Mavis green who is still a friend of my sister, does it ring any bells for you.

Some more names from around the Bull Rocks area.Warburton,Ball & Athorne.

Warburton rings a bell was his first name Dennis?

Wish people would use their real names then I might be able to identify them.

I was born in Marcus Street, the Verdon Street end in 1936. Didn't know many people the other side except my uncle Son (George) Thorpe lived there with his wife Evelyn and children Charlie, Doreen and Jean. We had a gang (nothing criminal but like Just William) consisting of Brian Warburton, Darrell Stent, Birkett Lucas, Norman Robinson and Eric Bolton. All these are my age within a year. There were older boys; Ron Ballard, Walt Harrison, Harry Coggin, Don Sherringham, Dennis Barrs, Eric Homer, Dennis Warburton, Don Morley. There didn't seem to be many girls. Jean Martin and Pat Morton in our yard, 3 court. The Bull Rocks were just over the wall. Birk Lucas had sblings Mary, June and Brian. If anybody want me to expand on any families in the area I will put my memory to the test. I still have fleeting contact with a few of them.

I was born in Marcus Street, the Verdon Street end in 1936. Didn't know many people the other side except my uncle Son (George) Thorpe lived there with his wife Evelyn and children Charlie, Doreen and Jean. We had a gang (nothing criminal but like Just William) consisting of Brian Warburton, Darrell Stent, Birkett Lucas, Norman Robinson and Eric Bolton. All these are my age within a year. There were older boys; Ron Ballard, Walt Harrison, Harry Coggin, Don Sherringham, Dennis Barrs, Eric Homer, Dennis Warburton, Don Morley. There didn't seem to be many girls. Jean Martin and Pat Morton in our yard, 3 court. The Bull Rocks were just over the wall. Birk Lucas had sblings Mary, June and Brian. If anybody want me to expand on any families in the area I will put my memory to the test. I still have fleeting contact with a few of them.

Birk, June, Mary ,And Brian Lucas are my cousins Birk and Mary have died

Edited by noodles1961

Hi Frank,

I am Michael, Don Morley:s youngest brother, Don is still with us and I will tell him that you are on this thread.

Although i was born on KILTON STREET a lot of my relatives lived at the bottom of FITZALAN STREET in the very last yard on the left.The TOMPKINS-PARKINS and the GILLINGAMS so i spent a lot of my youth there and MARCUS STREET.I also attended DENHOLME STREET for the table tennis ect.What a sledging run FITZALAN STREET was starting from NOTTINGHAM whipping past MONTFORT-VERDON-STONE -MARCUS-then digging your heels in to avoid the stumps at the beggining of the bridge happy days.I sometimes have a stroll round the old district but there is not much to see of those happy days.But we still have the memories.There is a picture of FITZALAN STREET inSHEFFIELD CENTRAL book page 113 also a picture of MARCUS WALK in A PITSMOOR CAMERA page 45.New at this thanks for the memories.Best Wishes to all.

Although i was born on KILTON STREET a lot of my relatives lived at the bottom of FITZALAN STREET in the very last yard on the left.The TOMPKINS-PARKINS and the GILLINGAMS so i spent a lot of my youth there and MARCUS STREET.I also attended DENHOLME STREET for the table tennis ect.What a sledging run FITZALAN STREET was starting from NOTTINGHAM whipping past MONTFORT-VERDON-STONE -MARCUS-then digging your heels in to avoid the stumps at the beggining of the bridge happy days.I sometimes have a stroll round the old district but there is not much to see of those happy days.But we still have the memories.There is a picture of FITZALAN STREET inSHEFFIELD CENTRAL book page 113 also a picture of MARCUS WALK in A PITSMOOR CAMERA page 45.New at this thanks for the memories.Best Wishes to all.

Hello Brie 39. Never seen Fitzalan St mentioned so much,I have to admit I did not know anybody in the last yard on the left,but the house after the yard entrance I knew,but cant remember the name,the last house was where Shirley Patrick lived,you have heard of Dale Winton TV guy,she was his mother Changed her name to Sherree Winton,a blonde,when she came out of the house every man and lad on the street did just to look at her,I saw a picture one time, Ithink it might be the one you have mentioned its a very dark picture, a horse and cart outside the chipshop as I remember it,on the right at the bottom of the St was Mrs Days Shop I knew her son Brian Day was a swimming champion,the next yard up was the Seniors,then the builders yard and then Mrs Bearders shop.I was a big friend of George Bland who lived above the yard you mentioned,And as you say sledging was great down Fitzalan St in 1947 16 weeks of ice and snow thats a time I shall never forget,Thanks for a ton of memories.

A couple of names stir the recesses of my memory. The family Senior, bottom end of Fitzalan St, did they have a son named Jack? He was in all my classes at Pyebank. And Harry Coggin. I think he was a bit older than me.

Hello again I remember Mrs beaders and the chip shop also Shirley Patrick and the builders yard.The next yard up from my relatives was Bill Anderton who sold fruit and stuff from a horse and cart I think.And Harry Coggin worked at Stanley Tools when I was there.Just a thought before I go does anyone remember the tossing rings going on at the end of Marcus Street near the Fitzalan pub?Take Care.

I lived there as a baby in 1955/56/57 but it is long gone.

I think it was on a hill and there was a shop at the top of the hill?

I remember Marcus St very well,it ran from Rock St which is still there,Across Fitzalan St which I lived on and ended I believe at Orbourn St,the house I lived in was in a yard, as you walked in the yard the houses on the left were addressed Marcus St,the entrance to the yard were in Fitzalan St