Improvement---Wicker Style

If any Black people feel aggrieved by how they're treated in Sheffield, well, a bit of good news coming their way-----as reported in the Star.

An Afro- Caribbean community centre, on the Wicker, is to get a 5 million quid face-lift over the next few years. The finished building, it is hoped, will have an Afro-Caribbean museum, 10 affordable apartments and a couple of restaurants......etc......

Just to be fair, can any minority group apply for similar treatment ? DO any minority groups apply for funds from anywhere for similar premises ? And if so, what have been the results ? Anyone know ?

It seems a good idea at first glance but I guess it could lead to a problem of divisiveness if certain services are only confined to one group. It seems a bit odd in a city which boasts that all people in Sheffield should be ' inclusive '.

Who says that an Afro-Caribbean community centre will be exclusive to the Afro-Caribbean community? When it's built and open for business, go down and have a look around. Take your family. If there is someone at the door stopping you from going in because you are not the right colour, then I suggest that you are the victim of a racial crime and heartily recommend a subsequent visit to the relevant authorities.

Until such time as that happens, I humbly suggest that your assertion that projects such as these 'could lead to a problem of divisiveness' is actually rather disproportionate.

Who says that an Afro-Caribbean community centre will be exclusive to the Afro-Caribbean community? When it's built and open for business, go down and have a look around. Take your family. If there is someone at the door stopping you from going in because you are not the right colour, then I suggest that you are the victim of a racial crime and heartily recommend a subsequent visit to the relevant authorities.

Until such time as that happens, I humbly suggest that your assertion that projects such as these 'could lead to a problem of divisiveness' is actually rather disproportionate.

Hmm...Being as were so multicultural Dont suppose anyone would object to a "White Anglo Saxon English museum" opening on Spital Hill then

or a pig slaughter house at page hall

or a saussage factory in sharrow

to be fair well done its about time us english had somwhere educatianal to go and see other ways of live might make people less rasist

sorry about me smelling i mean spelling

It seems a good idea at first glance but I guess it could lead to a problem of divisiveness if certain services are only confined to one group. It seems a bit odd in a city which boasts that all people in Sheffield should be ' inclusive '.

A development to serve a particular section of the community is inclusive ie everyone has somewhere they can go. Do you really think this is unfair/ will divide a city of this size and diversity?

I'm sure if you really want to go to the Afro-Caribbean place noone's going to throw you out...

Hmm...Being as were so multicultural Dont suppose anyone would object to a "White Anglo Saxon English museum" opening on Spital Hill then

What for? - There's already one at Weston Park:loopy:

If any Black people feel aggrieved by how they're treated in Sheffield, well, a bit of good news coming their way-----as reported in the Star.

An Afro- Caribbean community centre, on the Wicker, is to get a 5 million quid face-lift over the next few years. The finished building, it is hoped, will have an Afro-Caribbean museum, 10 affordable apartments and a couple of restaurants......etc......

Just to be fair, can any minority group apply for similar treatment ? DO any minority groups apply for funds from anywhere for similar premises ? And if so, what have been the results ? Anyone know ?

That's got to be great news and truly 'inclusive', I just hope they retain the Cafe/Restaurant as Afro-Carribean food ROCKS and the people are great too! :D

Just for the record, round about 1959 and onwards, I used to go to the West Indian shebeens in Sheffield and from 1958 until 1980, I worked very happily in Sheffield with literally hundreds of black and brown people and people of all hues in fact. For about a year in the '60's I lived practically ' en famille ' with a West Indian friend and his family. Since 1988 I have worked with people all over the world.

So, I think I could claim to be not prejudiced against anybody-----well, only control freaks, hypocrites and dead-heads---whatever their background !

The point I was making about the ' Wicker Project ' was this :- Could it cause other minority groups to feel any resentment for ANY reason i.e. ease of getting funds, size of group, length of time in Sheffield ......etc.... ?

The accommodation to be provided, so it said in the report, WOULD only be for Afro-Caribbean elderly people.

The planned museum will, presumably, only be concerned with Afro-Caribbean matters. I don't think any of our present museums are restricted in that way as regards subject matter.

It just seemed very strange to me that there should be such a 'slant' on the Afro-Caribbean theme at a time when the Powers-That -Be seem to want to move in the other direction i.e. ' togetherness. '

I'm sure I would be very welcome to pop in when it opens for a meal. I've been enjoying curried goat and rice and other W.Indian food since the '50's. It's just that the old shebeens were very all-inclusive and never had to dub themselves by any kind of group name. Incidentally, it was a great atmosphere at those places and I never witnessed any trouble in about 10 years of regular visits-----plus, let's say some pretty strong gear was used too !!

Could it be a ploy to encourage more people through the bus gate? :hihi:

150,000 Afro-Caribbeans would be needed to pay for the entire project :suspect: If it's open to all, should make the £5m up in no time. ;)

I know a little of the work that lots of African carribbean community groups based at Sadacca and the Ace centre have done over many years. If you added up all the time that's been put in by volunteers, and out a cash value on the support services, advice, training etc which has been provided at little of no cost to the tacpayer, i should imagine it would be well over £5m worth. In business terms, the investment in the centre could just be seen as a retun on investment, surely?

Disapointing to see that at the slightest thing on here the race issue gets shunted to centre stage. If anyone thinks that there are elements of sheffield history exclsuive to white anglo saxon, or whatever other group(s), which are not served by the city's existing museums and galleries, how about workibng together as a community group, unpaid, for 20 years or so until your work is recognised with some proper investment: like those who have run sadacca have done!

Very good point, it's open to everyone. I'm never out of the chinese community centre on london road...