Sign in to follow this  

Sheffield councillors to get over 7% pay increase

Do councillors deserve their increase?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do councillors deserve their increase?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure
    • dont care

Having read in tonights Sheffield star that our councillors are to get an inflation busting pay rise do people think thet desrve it?

The leader of the council Jan Wilson will get an allowance of£25,429 if she gets the increase.

Seems to me that the pay shoul'd be performance related and as far as i'm converned she dont deserve it.

Originally posted by royjames

Having read in tonights Sheffield star that our councillors are to get an inflation busting pay rise do people think thet desrve it?

The leader of the council Jan Wilson will get an allowance of£25,429 if she gets the increase.

Seems to me that the pay shoul'd be performance related and as far as i'm converned she dont deserve it.

we agree on something!!:D maybe they could filter money down to where its needed, instead of cutting the childrens fund etc....

Hey Natt theres hope for us yet then?

I find that the difference between the leader of the council and the rest to be too large,I know it carries more responsibility but still ?

Is this a pay rise for the sake of it, or a pay rise related to performance? If it's for the sake of it then I'm outraged. I try to keep a track of my pay rises versus the price of a pint of Carlsberg and I'm struggling to keep up - 7% for nowt would do ME just fine.

And yes, I know that a Carlsberg index is probably not the best way of measuring pay rises, but it's what matters to me in the real world!

Just shows the utter contempt that they hold us in. Same as the MP's upping their pension rights but downgrading civil service and health service pensions. I bet there is cross party support for the increases, the only time that councillors will ever vote together as one.

I must stop, my blood pressure is rising to critical levels.....

Any councillors use this forum ?

Just to add a little cavitat to this debate ,my party are commited to performance related pay and NO increase above inflation unless earned.

Just to show the difference between this lot and us,they only care about their wallets.

Originally posted by Cols

Just shows the utter contempt that they hold us in. Same as the MP's upping their pension rights but downgrading civil service and health service pensions. I bet there is cross party support for the increases, the only time that councillors will ever vote together as one.

I must stop, my blood pressure is rising to critical levels.....

Any councillors use this forum ?

Thus far with 2 yes votes, it would appear that 2 councillors are watching :hihi: :hihi:

Originally posted by royjames

Just to add a little cavitat to this debate ,my party are commited to performance related pay and NO increase above inflation unless earned.

Just to show the difference between this lot and us,they only care about their wallets.

That sounds encouraging Roy. So how would you measure performance and any improvements, and would you also take pay cuts if performance fell?

Well Roy, their get out will be that they are following the recommendations of the Independent Panel Review.

Funny how they get a recommendation of 7% while the rest of us get 3% if we are lucky. My husband works for a firm that hasn't given a pay rise for 5 years!

Some of the figures for last year were as follows;

Basic allowance £9838.71

Allowance

for chairmanships £4434.94

child allowance per

half day £20.70

Mileage allowance 40p per mile

Subsistance

Allowance various

All this is before the allowance for leader, deputy leader,cabinet member.

Being a councillor carries renumeration equivalent to a full time job for most people but for councillors it is only the start as many of them are also in full-time employment. Get your head around that one.

Being a Councillor should offer out of pocket expenses only then we would see who were really community minded and who saw it as a meal ticket.

Well if I was not up to the job then yes I ought to take a pay cut,as for measuring your performance this woul'd be acheived by monitoring each department and each brief you have.

LOl Tony you always seem to find me dont you? I suspect that might have something to do with my politics dont you.

Also have to say I thought you was pretty harsh on delboy if it had been anyone else you might have closed the post or suspended it,just an observation.

Interesting is that Mo,just goes to show that you can indeed make a nice living in the job.

The mileage allowance is not bad either is is?

We in my party are considering setting up something called council watch which one of our members in Rotherhan called Marleen guest has some experience of.

Will be speaking to her soon on this very subject,she used to be a candidate for the lib dems but she saw the light and came over to us.

Anyway I feel that this council might have some more going on that we know about.

For people like the Leader of the Council and Committee Chairs, being a Councillor is a full time job. If we expect people to sit on the Council and run the City for us, then we ought to compensate them for the fact that they are giving their time up - and, in some cases, any possibility of getting a decent full time job.

If we follow the principle of "lets make being a Councillor an entirely voluntary activity" then nobody with any skill or capability would ever volunteer to be a Councillor - and the City would go down hill very quickly indeed!