Sign in to follow this  

Sheffield councillors to get over 7% pay increase

Do councillors deserve their increase?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do councillors deserve their increase?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure
    • dont care

That doesn't alter the fact they should receive inflation busting pay rises when every year council workers receive an inflation rise if they are lucky and the council tax rises way above inflation whilst services are stripped to the bone.

Originally posted by Cols

That doesn't alter the fact they should receive inflation busting pay rises when every year council workers receive an inflation rise if they are lucky and the council tax rises way above inflation whilst services are stripped to the bone.

Maybe the reason councillors are getting an "inflation busting" pay rise is that they were already being paid below the national average for their work.

Well tell you what when we in the BNP get some councillors I will come on here and tell everyone exactly what the job entails.

There will be no more above inflation increase if we get our way,and no more secrecy either.

And one final point we will make this city car friendly again ,not like this lot who seem to get a kick out of making drivers wait in traffic.

You heard it here first.

It would appear that most BNP councillors do bugger all once elected from their attendance record at council meetings where they've been elected.

"Car friendly city" - go on then, be transparent and tell us precisely which communities you'll demolish to make way for roads.

Hi longcol can you tell me which councillors who do bugger all as you put it?

As for the city we can begin with removing those road narrowing schemes which are in place and we can alter the traffic lights sequence which at certain places does not give the driver enough time to move.

We can also increase the available parking in the city centre which in turn will help those small buisnesses which have been hit by meadowhall and the council policy of being anti car.

There is much more but we will be here all night,but we have to start somewhere dont we?

"In Burnley, their attendance at council meetings is abysmal — not one BNP councillor attended the 2003 budget-setting meeting, for example. And when the Guardian quizzed the BNP lead councillor Len Starr last April on any recent BNP initiatives in Burnley, Starr couldn’t come up with a single one."

And with all the extre cars coming into the city centre once you've got rid of road narrowing etc - where are you going to put all the extra car parks?

Originally posted by Cols

When I was elected in 1999 my basic pay was ukp7996. It's now ukp8996. That's 1.98% per year.

--

JGH

So then John, let's get away from the headline figures in the thread title.

Can you estimate the number of hours a week that you spend on Council business and for how many weeks of the year you do that?

I have a sneaky feeeling that the allowance won't look that great as an hourly rate. :suspect:

Originally posted by Tony

So then John, let's get away from the headline figures in the thread title.

Can you estimate the number of hours a week that you spend on Council business and for how many weeks of the year you do that?

I have a sneaky feeeling that the allowance won't look that great as an hourly rate.

I don't know about John, but I've just last week filled in a workload survey. I worked out that I do 55 hours a week, up from 32 hours that I calculated in 1999 when I was previously asked.

One difference personally is that now I am chair of an Area Panel so I get an extra 2k or so. There's a summary of my hours buried somewhere on my website, but 1999/2005 is:

1999 £7996/y 32hr/w £4.79/hr

2005 £11442/y 55hr/w £3.99/hr

So, by taking on more responsibilty, I get paid less. Hmmm.

I'm also on more committees than average[1], but the pay system takes no account of that, even though the pay review document says "we recognise the increased workload of members of Planning and Licensing boards". If that is so, why are only the chairs paid for that workliad?

[1] Corporate Planning Scrutiny, South Planning, Licensing Board, Area Panel Chairs, and some smaller boards.

--

JGH

Originally posted by Tony

I have a sneaky feeeling that the allowance won't look that great as an hourly rate. :suspect:

Nobody would want public representatives to be out of pocket and their expences should of course be covered but IMO offering what is actually a salary is making the job of councillor more of a career rather than a civic calling.

Originally posted by Mo

Nobody would want public representatives to be out of pocket and their expences should of course be covered but IMO offering what is actually a salary is making the job of councillor more of a career rather than a civic calling.

You could say that about any public sector job.

How dare teachers/nurses/firefighters/doctors/etc demand a living wage? They should do it for the civic pride of serving the public and b*****s to paying the mortgage. ...?

This council are all about self interest and nothing more,I have attended council meetings and what you will see is councillors reading the Times or Guardian while impotant debates are taking place.

They are so smug and complacent and who can blame them when they dont get any real opposition in the chambers

But like the saying says you get the goverment youdeserve and until people vote for something different then it will stay the same.

Smug,out of touch =SHEFFIELD COUNCIL.