Parking on grass verges MEGATHREAD

Grass verges. To park or not to park ?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Grass verges. To park or not to park ?

• Only idiots park on grass verges.
    • Go for it, let the traffic flow !
    • Blame the bus drivers who cant negotiate the gap.

Ironically they have put the wooden bollards up on the section of road where people rarely parked on the verge/ road as most use the driveways, at the top of the road near the junction with Manchester Rd someone parks on the verges so much that they have caused the kerb stones to come loose and away from the verge. The council have not put the bollards there though, makes no sense.

There were probably cars parked in the way when they were trying to put the bollards there.

The ones they have installed further down are enormous.

Perhaps the Council's Whittling Officer will be round later on to make them smaller by carving them into unusual shapes.

Lot silly posts on here and a few sensible ones.

The way I see it if the houses can't have driveways built then grass verges should be removed and parking bays put plus extra drainage.

Part of the fee should be paid by people living there as well.

The houses have room and can have drive ways built then it's up to the owners to get a driveway built. A few fines may encourage this or another thing about parked vehicles they slow traffic down so are a natural traffic calming measure. Cheaper than putting down speed humps. So stop people parking on the verge.

Where people have long drives and also garages parking and vehicles cause obstruction parking restrictions should be in place. A good example of this is Warmister Road by the playing fields. Sadly the restrictions are rather limited. At times I feel very sorry for a bus driver or anyone trying to turn into the road due to the inconsiderate and stupid parking.

Lot silly posts on here and a few sensible ones.

The way I see it if the houses can't have driveways built then grass verges should be removed and parking bays put plus extra drainage.

Part of the fee should be paid by people living there as well.

The houses have room and can have drive ways built then it's up to the owners to get a driveway built. A few fines may encourage this or another thing about parked vehicles they slow traffic down so are a natural traffic calming measure. Cheaper than putting down speed humps. So stop people parking on the verge.

Where people have long drives and also garages parking and vehicles cause obstruction parking restrictions should be in place. A good example of this is Warmister Road by the playing fields. Sadly the restrictions are rather limited. At times I feel very sorry for a bus driver or anyone trying to turn into the road due to the inconsiderate and stupid parking.

1st really sensible post in this thread. The only issue I would raise about "parked vehicles they slow traffic down so are a natural traffic calming measure" is that they are also a magnet for children to try and cross the road (and a barrier for the driver to spot them).

Before we had a layby put in I had this problem with the narrow road. No next door neighbours so that was no problem. However to keep the verge looking res[ectable i laid flag stones down the middle of the verge so that I would not damage the verge and it did look OK. To put bricks or blocks on the verge to stop parking is an offence. Many do not know that and continue to do this. But a complaint by a motorist could lead to a prosecution. I have gone through all this . I also think that the council should turn every alternate verge into a layby. But then as with my home others start to use it leaving me with nowhere to park. Not an easy problem to solve. If the garden is low enough then have a drive put in. Mine is far too high.

My opinion is that if you wish to own cars you should buy a house with off road parking, at the least you should buy a house where there is legal on road parking.

In my opinion buying a house knowing you own two cars but there's no legal parking (having to park the verge) is trailer trash territory.

Read in the star people are going to get fined £70 for parking on the grass. Council should move the grass and tarmac it for parking and good looks.

We live next to a school and on occasions we have had our drive blocked by people parking in front of it. I think if everyone used a bit of common sense when parking the roads near schools would be a lot safer.

why dont the council just get rid of grass verges and put in parking .. makes sence .. and wouldnt look a mess with verges being churned up

people near me park on other peoples grass and not there own. how annoying is that

why dont the council just get rid of grass verges and put in parking .. makes sence .. and wouldnt look a mess with verges being churned up

All well and good but who is goling to foot the bill? The council will say they cannot afford it with all these cuts and a lot of people will not want to contribute to the cost.

people near me park on other peoples grass and not there own. how annoying is that

Do you mean that people park on other peoples gardens?

Or do you mean they park on the verge, which is part of the public highway, and doesn't belong to any 'other people'.