Asda Handsworth Complaint - Alcohol Sales - new over 25 rule

The exact same thing happened to me as the OP.

I do my shopping there every week and all of a sudden they implement this over 25 thing. I do think they should be asking for ID from certain people but they need to apply a little more common sense. Someone spending hundreds on food and a fiver on a bottle of wine is clearly going to be over 18!

I am 26 years old and was shopping with my 3yr old child. I spent well over £100 on food and included in all this was 4 cans of lager and 1 bottle of wine. When she got to the wine she asked for id as i didn't look 25. I thought she was joking but she wasn't. I didn't bother to argue as I didn't have the time but the woman was that insistent on telling me about the new rules that she put the 4 cans of lager through without even noticing them!

In reply to the OP - think yourself lucky they thought you looked so young that they felt they had to ask for ID. I wish i still looked under 25 never mind under 21!! :)

I'm 38 and people have stopped handing me leaflets for nightclub promo's in town.

Now thats when you wish you still looked 25 when someone else makes a judgement that you are too old to appreciate what they are offering :(

Although i do know what the OP means - the other day i was in B&Q to buy some super glue and i was asked very seriously if i was over 21? :loopy:

If a student in town can quickly fathom that i look too old to go in the club they are promoting then surely an adult on the till in B&Q can see i am going on twice the legal age for buying bloomin glue!

In reply to the OP - think yourself lucky they thought you looked so young that they felt they had to ask for ID. I wish i still looked under 25 never mind under 21!! :)

I'm 38 and people have stopped handing me leaflets for nightclub promo's in town.

Now thats when you wish you still looked 25 when someone else makes a judgement that you are too old to appreciate what they are offering :(

Although i do know what the OP means - the other day i was in B&Q to buy some super glue and i was asked very seriously if i was over 21? :loopy:

If a student in town can quickly fathom that i look too old to go in the club they are promoting then surely an adult on the till in B&Q can see i am going on twice the legal age for buying bloomin glue!

Yes but the tills now flash up a warning too when you scan

superglue

I've had this kind of issue, I turned 18 on Nov 10th,... I have also been a cashier myself so I know what it is like for them. If your the one that is going to get the fine, you'd be cautious, on minimum wage... something near £5 an hour, a £1,000 is a 200 hour fine, not really what the average already-in-debt student wants! It wouldn't really go down too well. I used to get served when I was about 15 / 16, however now I get ID'd about 50% of the time, thats a bit daft.

What I have a big problem with.. what happened to me the other day:

Me and my girlfriend went down to sainsburys, to buy some food for tea. Whilst there I was buying food like mince meat, carrots, etc etc, I think we were making a Shepards Pie. With this, we fancied a bottle of wine, not the kind of items your average under age person buys. We got the the checkout, and sure enough got asked for ID. Ok, that's all good and well, a bit weird but anyway they have to check, so I showed them my driving licence. After sitting thinking about the date and month etc etc, counting from 1989 and working out I was 18 in 07, the lady said " Sorry, I can't serve you ".

Why? I asked, just to get the response

" Does the girl have ID ? ".

No, no she did not, i was literally driving down to the local shops to buy some food, she didn't even have her purse.

"Sorry, I can't serve you then".

WHAT?!? Because my girlfriend didn't have ID, I couldn't be served, thats rediculous. Looking at what we were buying, it was hardly like I was buying her wine so she could sit outside the shop and drink it! That is madness! The reason they gave was because they couldn't sell to groups. The man behind me piped up, being about 35 himself and said, so what do you do with families.... If I'm buying alcohol and have my 10 year old with me? And apparently, if its a family it's ok. Madness, how would they tell that. So, from now on, I can either send my girlfriend past the till and go through myself seperatly, because thats ok... or pretend she is my daughter, but is the same age as me so it doesnt really work, but... then again if a 27 year old looks 18, maybe she's 9? Really wound me up that did. It's the second time they have done it to me. It wasn't even a group, it was me and my girlfriend, buying tea!

That was Sainsbury's on Archer Road. I'm thinking,,... goodbye nectar points, hello Tesco Clubcard points. They made too much of a fuss about it in store, and how can you say it is not embarassing... they're pretty much accusing you of being a under -age, law breaking, irresponsible drinker.

If the cashier doesn't demand ID, then she risks a thousand pound fine, payable by HER, not by Asda.

How small of a risk would you be prepared to take? I wouldn't sell any alcohol to anybody at all without ID, no matter if they looked a hundred.

Maybe when people drop this ridiculous attitude that it's somehow "embarassing" to them to be asked for identification, then they won't get so upset about it any more...

"Payable by her"... Is it just me that thinks thats a bit sexist??

( I'm an ex cashier ) and Male.

my sister in law was refused sale of a England F.C. air horn at poundland on the moore, she was told she was under 18, when in fact she's 26.

thats the shop i was in trying to buy cointreau choccies and got IDd... the lady in front of me was IDd for plastic scissors, she was 27. madness.