Relocating to Sheffield and need some good advice about areas

I think Sham71 has given you the best advice in this situation. If school is your priority, pick your school and rent around the corner which will guarantee you your child's place. When you are in Sheffield, you will gain a much better idea of what you like and what will suit your lifestyle with no heavy financial commitment - for the commutes you are talking about, you really need to experience Sheffield traffic first hand to gage how much you can take! 350k is a massive amount on a property - I would suggest £4000/£5000 on a 6 month rental is pittance in terms of researching your ideal house/area/lifestyle! It is much easier to do when you are here and not remotely!

Yes Tricky, that's the conclusion we're coming to. We're both professionals and it appears as though Fulwood, Silverdale and such areas are most suited to our needs.

All down to finances and availability then. Our maximum budget is 350k and for this we want a 4+ bedroom detached property. If anyone has any ideas please pm me.

What do you think about the Norfolk area of Sheffield (near City Road) - we've seen a nice house online but not knowing the area makes it difficult to assess.

You might be better off looking at the King Teds catchment area - Broomhill, Crookes, Crookesmoor.

King Teds is pretty multicultural as it serves the University catchment area - Fulwood and Silverdale tend to be the white suburbs IMHO.

Hello and thanks to Strix and Sham71 and Hi again to Tricky and jjbarnesfan. Phew!!!

Just to clarify really, we're an ordinary couple plus child who are not practising any particular religion and therefore wouldn't particularly want to place ourselves within an Asian community setting. We would just like to feel welcome wherever we settle and our experience at home has been predominantly white British. Spice is the flavour of life so they say and a mixture of people is what we are looking for.

We believe Sheffield has alot to offer young and modern families, and the scenery in certain parts looks absolutely wonderful. We should have said before but we are a bit concerned about the floods in the area (oops! or is that a sore topic for people?). Where would we want to avoid out of all the places specified?

Cheers ....

What on earth objections do you have to living in a multicultural area?

Nether Edge and Sharrow are fabulous areas to live in, and the diversity is fabulous. it's not just Asian and English, there's Polish, Dutch, German, scandinavian, and Irish to name but a few. as for faiths, there's Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Sikh, Christian, Pagan, Atheist. as for employment, there's everything from doctors to "dole-wallahs"

the diversity is what "makes" this area it's also close to town, and it has its own festival , in July every year, which is fantastic fun.

There are two beautiful parks within a very short distance of the areas, and you are within minutes of some of the most spectacular National-Parkland (the Peak District)

-Not to mention the fact that we have the best football ground/ team (the Blades/ Bramall Lane) in the country on the doorstep (S2 4SU)

I'm not sure why you felt the need to rant at the OP; maybe you should read their posts again. I interpreted them as saying that they would prefer not to live in a monoculture whether white or Asian. You appear to be saying the same thing, just more shoutily.

I relocated to South Yorkshire 10 years ago and wanted similar areas to you initially...specifically for good schools but I was insistant on a flat plot, on a flat road, with a flat garden....we just couldn't find anything suitable in those areas.

We ended up in Norton, S8 and got exactly what we wanted.

Meadowhead School is only over the road and it's a lovely area, with excellent amienities etc

I am sure you will find a property within your budget in the area too!!

You move to Sheffield and demand flatness? It's like moving to Manhatten but refusing to live close to any tall buildings.

:hihi:

You move to Sheffield and demand flatness? It's like moving to Manhatten but refusing to live close to any tall buildings.

:hihi:

I know...:hihi: It was a mammoth search !! But I fell in love with Norton when I saw all those houses opposite Graves Tennis and Leisure ....all on flat plots!!! :love:

The lady always gets what she wants.....:D

Hello all,

We are planning a move to the South Yorkshire region in the school summer holidays and are desperately trying to find a decent secondary school in an area where prices aren't sky high, and one that celebrates multi-cultural families (Asian/white Brtiish). We have been glancing towards High Storrs and Silverdale but think we're going to struggle with house prices there.

Some multi-cultural schools are Fir Vale, Abbeydale Grange and Hinde House. If you especially want those, have a look at the prices and weigh up the other aspects of those areas.

The "best" schools (if you go by the league tables, never a good idea) tend to be in expensive, mostly white suburban areas with steep house prices.

Wow! to so many replies. Again, just thank you all so much for taking the time out to write on my thread. Hello again LindseyW, Strix and Tricky. Welcome to everyone else. We are particularly liking your dry sense of humour Tricky...keep it coming.

Renting is the sensible route, however, for very personal reasons it really isn't an option for our family unfortunately. That is why we have to find the right place first time around. We are going to be living in the Sheffield area for at least the next 6 years; job determined. Then who knows where?!

Blundells have been really lovely to us. Are they a major estate agent in Sheffield? Wwhat do people think about Saton Mee? Who covers the most areas?

Also, can anyone give us an opinion on Wadsley Park area?

Thanks guys n girls.

I will second S7 and S11

Things are sloooow selling

Id look for 400k properties and offer 350 if I were you, if not less

Forget the ridiculous asking price plus 20% mentality here too

That may have held when it was ridiculously overheated 2-3 years ago but not now

Be merciless

Rentings a solid idea too

Deepak

The agents are only being nice as they are not doing anything

There is plenty of opinion on this site about the local estate agents

:)

I will second S7 and S11

Things are sloooow selling

Id look for 400k properties and offer 350 if I were you, if not less

Forget the ridiculous asking price plus 20% mentality here too

That may have held when it was ridiculously overheated 2-3 years ago but not now

Be merciless

Rentings a solid idea too

Deepak

Have pm'd you!