Why go abroad for your holidays?

Sitting in a Spanish resort that smells of faeces and eating Big Macs doesn't have the same character building effect does it? :thumbsup:

I’ve travelled to many Spanish resorts and they may be lacking in character in a lot of cases but, fast food outlets are no where near as prevalent as in the UK. As for the smell, its rare and by far less smelly than the **** soaked streets of most UK cities of a Saturday or Sunday morning.

That’s all if you don’t go to the resorts under siege by Brits that is, then anything is possible and if it smells like crap, that probably means some ****** Brit has recently crimped one off nearby.

Its simple, the weather and the cost. You can travel thousands of miles and be guaranteed good weather for the price of a musty room in a crappy rain soaked seaside town in the UK.

I can sit indoors and watch the rain for free, so why pay to do it somewhere else in the UK!

I answered that point in the opening post when I said "Ask this question of most people and inevitably they’ll say something about the weather and that if they go to, say, the Mediterranean, they’re guaranteed sunshine. That may be so, but surely the same weather day after day would become tedious, and if all you want is a tan you might as well spend your cash on a sunbed instead? Likewise there’s only so much sitting on a beach you can do before it gets boring."

Each to their own and all that, but the point about the UK is that the weather needn't stop you having a good time as there's still plenty to do.

Whereas in a Spanish seaside resort you can sit on a beach, have a swim, get drunk and...er...well, that's it.

I love going abroad, I love swimming in the sea knowing im not going to swim into an empty condom wrapper, I love the fact the weather is almost definately going to be good, I love the fact that when I go A.I I don't have to worry about cooking, and I can enjoy my holiday. Just because your staying all inclusive doesnt mean you have to stay inside the resort, my partner and I went on a safari through the Cypriot Akamas, explored many of the towns, went to see Aphrodite's baths and all sorts, ate Meze out several times, and it doesn't make us common not wanting to cook, or worry about anything for a fortnight!

If i knew the weather would be nice, I would go somewhere in England but as everyone has said with the prices they charge, tis nice to go abroad and have a change for two weeks.

Why would you want to go abroad when there’s so much to see and do in Britain?

It can often be cheaper than holidaying in the UK.

There may be a particular place/ places abroad that you've always had an interest, yearned to visit, or enjoyed so much you wish to return. People should try to appreciate Britain for sure but there is a whole world out there.

For me weather plays a very small part. Certainly, I'll try to go somewhere when it is not monsoon season or at the extreme end of the temperature scale but If I fancy the place and it's a bit hotter than I'd like, I'll just shower several times a day. I don't sit on beaches (boring!) and don't do tans.

All the good points you mention about Britain ... outdoor activities such as walking, cycling, climbing or just sightseeing, can be done in any of our weekend leisure time. The possibility of a few weeks off work will have many of us planning something more one-off / ambitious / challenging / exotic / memorable (tick where applicable).

You seem to present a very stereotypical image of the sunshine holiday abroad ...

So while most people spend a fortnight hanging around airports, suffering stomach upsets and frying your skin to a frazzle, I wonder if they ever stop and think that you don’t need to fly thousands of miles for a break when there’s so much on their doorstep?

Maybe it's precisely because they did stop and think, that they realise there is much, much more to see and experience than the British Isles! :rolleyes:

if, like me, you like outdoor activities such as walking, cycling, climbing or just sightseeing, there’s no place better than Britain. The scenery can be luscious, bleak, bucolic or wild, the history is more intriguing and fascinating than any other country and of course there’s no langauge barrier to exclude you from talking to the locals.

"there’s no place better than Britain." (for walking, cycling, climbing, sightseeing)

Why not???

(And didn't you say you'd gone no further than France? So it's not like you'd be any authority by any stretch of the imagination)

"the history (British) is more intriguing and fascinating than any other country"

Really???

There's no reason for anyone to believe this. :confused:

Each to their own and all that, but the point about the UK is that the weather needn't stop you having a good time as there's still plenty to do.

Whereas in a Spanish seaside resort you can sit on a beach, have a swim, get drunk and...er...well, that's it.

It all depends on your idea of a holiday.

In a Spanish seaside resort you can do everything you can do in the UK AND as sit on a beach, have a swin (in the sea even) and get drunk

Having travelled in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland extensively both for work and pleasure, I agree there are some wonderful places and sites.

For me, however, you do not get the variety of experiences unless you travel abroad (and I dont just mean 2 weeks in Benidorm).

See some of the worlds best beaches, city skylines, historical monuments, wildlife in its own environment, meet different cultures, try tastes and smells etc etc....

I honestly believe travel does broaden the mind - my life has been so much better for it