David Blunkett question of protocol

I am to receive an award next week. Present, among others, will be Lord Mayor, Richard Caborn and David Blunkett.

I am worried about shaking hands with Mr Blunkett. Does anyone know if this is required and how does it work, given that he can`t see an outstretched hand?

No doubt he will raise his hand to shake yours, and you just have to meet his hand. If he doesn't, you won't. I have a blind relative and really it's only an issue if you worry about it, he will have shaken hands with people thousands of times.

Chusty. Congratulations on your award. David is very used to this sort of thing, as you can imagine. You'll be introduced and he'll hold out his hand to you for you to shake. Have a great time.

On the few occasions when I've shaken David's hand Sadie has taken my arm and guided me towards David's hand in a quite expert way.

Thanks for your advice. I confess I was worrying about it, the whole thing really. I`m not keen on being centre of attention. While it`s nice that my voluntary work is appreciated I prefer to remain in the background. My immediate reaction on getting the letter about it was I can`t do this but my sister said I must go if she has to drag me there!

Just remember, if you feel a wet nose under your skirt, it'll be the dog!

Just remember, if you feel a wet nose under your skirt, it'll be the dog!

Hopefully.

I wouldn't fret too much, he does have a sense of humour and is down to earth.

I wouldn't fret too much, he does have a sense of humour and is down to earth.

Well he was brought down to earth, wasn't he?

I shadowed him when i was 17 at the home office. David introduced me to all his staff, and they each asked something. His chief of staff asked me why I was shadowing him, and I replied. "I have an interest in politics, but I don't know enough, I feel, to do anything significant. This is my way of ensuring I don't go into politics blind."

The silence ensured it was a classic moment.

I shadowed him when i was 17 at the home office. David introduced me to all his staff, and they each asked something. His chief of staff asked me why I was shadowing him, and I replied. "I have an interest in politics, but I don't know enough, I feel, to do anything significant. This is my way of ensuring I don't go into politics blind."

The silence ensured it was a classic moment.

A little like the debate in the Sheffield District Labour Party when Pat Heath accused Blunkett of having no vision!!!

"You've got no vision Blunkett, you've got no vision", what a cracker, LOL.

When he outstretches his hand to meet yours what you do is SPANG him over the head with a frying pan whilst bellowing "That's for all the public sector workers you screwed over!"

Or not, Your choice :hihi: