Old cinemas of sheffield

bigkev

ESther was Sol Sheckman's wife.
It depends which reference source you use - Esther and Esme both turn up, as do Dorothy and Doreen. Before posting I did look at BMD records via ancestry.co.uk but there is no trace of the marriage, or the death of either (though as Sol Scheckman was Jewish, Esther seems more likely)..

Interesting thread - does anyone have memories of the Phoenix on Langsett Road, opposite the barracks? I seem to recall that the "balcony" was just a small raised area at the back. Photos of the Phoenix seem hard to find, but I found one on the "picturesheffield.com" website - here is a link: http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s01471&prevUrl=

It depends which reference source you use - Esther and Esme both turn up, as do Dorothy and Doreen. Before posting I did look at BMD records via ancestry.co.uk but there is no trace of the marriage, or the death of either (though as Sol Scheckman was Jewish, Esther seems more likely)..

My late cousin Jack worked for Essoldo at all three Sheffield sites. He gave me ESther years ago. Evidently Mr Sheckman was a bit of a stickler.

...Evidently Mr Sheckman was a bit of a stickler.
Yes, my aunt worked at the Forum (later an Essoldo) and she told me the same - maybe that's how he became so successful. I was surprised to find no mention of the Scheckman family in birth, marriage and death records, except a 1936 marriage record of of Dorothy M. Scheckman to Myer Refson, in Newcastle.

Yes, my aunt worked at the Forum (later an Essoldo) and she told me the same - maybe that's how he became so successful. I was surprised to find no mention of the Scheckman family in birth, marriage and death records, except a 1936 marriage record of of Dorothy M. Scheckman to Myer Refson, in Newcastle.

Can't help but feel that it is wrong that people are allowed to be able to both look up and discuss marriage birth and death records of others without their explicit consent...sometimes its even people they are not even related to.

And I do not want to hear the old... If you have nothing to hide.... cliched bull.

Edited by Tommo68

Hi, just going to a different area of Sheffield, a bit out of town, down to Darnall. I remember in the late 50s/early 60s, in my very early years going to the Lyric picture house at the bottom of Darnall Main Rd on Saturday's for the matinee session. There was a super hero production of something like Superman (but not sure on that, it could have been some other super human) and a Laurel and Hardy. (all in black and white),brilliant! there was also a model shop just along the road where I remember buying Airfix models of Spitfires and other planes with my 5 bob spending money. this usually kept me occupied for the following week until the next flicks session. A bit different from todays interests I guess.

hiya , there is talk about the roxy cinema, can you tell me was the roxy dance hall in this building as I only went once around 1955,thanks.

The dance hall at the Roxy was owned by Harry Silvester in the late 50s.

Harry was the husband of Constance Grant. I can remember going with my mum, who was Connies niece, to help tidy the bar area out and do some general cleaning.

I've read on this or another thread that she moved some of her dance classes there