The dreaded flu

Ok so Dr has told me I've got flu and secondary chest infection. I've been on anti biotics for 3 days now and regular paracetamol. What I wanted to know was, who else has had it, how long did it take to get over it and is there anything else I can do to feel better cos I ache all over :cry:

a couple of days and youll be over the worst - i had it over christmas:gag:

If it is flu you will not be over it in a couple of days.No chance.More like a couple of weeks.

I've had it!

I recommend sofa, duvet, favourite movies, chocolate, whisky and the kind attention of a partner / lover / paid help.

Been doing 90% of that. Can't do whiskey cos of the baby bump and everything tastes minging. I've lost so much weight these few days its scarey

The antibiotics are for the chest infection - typically they'll take a few days to a week to kick in, then you take them all - every last one - even if you fel better.

For the 'flu side of it - if it's genuine influenza (muscle pains, weakness, headaches, etc. as well as the cold symptoms) then you're looking at a minimum of several days for the symptoms to clear up and a week or two to get back to normal - in my own experience, anyway.

Unfortunately there's not too much you can do about it except rest, fluids, paracetamol (watch the dosage - if you're taking over the counter flu remedies as well many of them contain paracetamol and it's easy to go over the limit).

Best of luck.

Only taking paracetamol and the anti biotics so I don't OD on paracetamol. Is it usual for it to hurt so bad I cry when I try to walk?

due to being pregnant your not even allowed over the counter cold and flu medicines. I had this at the begining of Dec and the pharmacy said I wasn't allowed anything except paracetamol (he actually looked/spoke to me as if I had suggested taking £1000 worth of heroin whilst pregnant for even asking to buy something to me feel better lol)

Only taking paracetamol and the anti biotics so I don't OD on paracetamol. Is it usual for it to hurt so bad I cry when I try to walk?

Some years ago I had 'flu and I literally COULDN'T walk. :)

My legs just wouldn't work at all. I stood up at one point and just fell over - very painful, very weak.

Yes I've had this all over Xmas.Have nearly finished all the antibiotics, but I still ache, legs are like jelly, still have sore throat and pain in my ear when swallowing.Still not much appetite, so I'm gonna say, at least ten days is how long you've got to put up with this.

Some years ago I had 'flu and I literally COULDN'T walk. :)

My legs just wouldn't work at all. I stood up at one point and just fell over - very painful, very weak.

Exactly ... what I term flu makes you unable to carry on as normal .. and I certainly wouldnt be on here.