Morrissey leaves England over immigration

He always was a pratt...doesn't detract from his music though.

Someone told me recently that Phil Collins was a prat. I said that it doesn't detract from his music though, but that someone disagreed and implied that to listen to his music would support him in his prattishness in some way.

He always struck me as a quintessential English eccentric, witty, erudite, charming, intelligent but a bit of a snob - and anyone who can call Liz Taylor a friend ...well....

Ironic for an immigrant to Italy to complain about immigration here :confused:

Apparently he denies the words in the NME article are his and his management are calling it defamatory". The journalist has even abrogated responsibility for the article. Not sure that we will ever know what he said.

I know what you mean about the English ambiguity, but I've only ever known him for his lyrics in music...but now I don't know, I just don't understand.

he's a bit like John lydon really in that they have a politics all of their own and a way of putting things which are unique.

It might be something to do with the Irishman not quite English outsider. To some extent Morrisey even has a sexuality of his own.

Life needs people to actually say things outside of the box more. Reading his interview what he's saying is simply right. Why should nostagia for lost Englishness or concern about mass immigration just be the preserve of rightwing fox hunting tories with everyone else just expected to be blandly politically correct?

Morrisey has left England .......time for a street party methinks - cant stand the depressive prat...

Apparently he denies the words in the NME article are his and his management are calling it defamatory". The journalist has even abrogated responsibility for the article. Not sure that we will ever know what he said.

No you're missing the whole point. he's left England because he doesn't like the immigration explosion here. 400,000 brits do likewise each year with estate agents in France citing the reasons given to them as being that the emigres are looking to escape multi-culturalism in Britain by immigrating to more mono-cultural environments in Europe.

So the son of an immigrant, becomes an immigrant because he doesn't agree with immigration. Hmmmm :huh:

Oh, the irony! lol

Is he a medium, do you think, and is he channelling Michael Portillo?

The fact of it is that Mister "Music-To-Slit-Your Wrists-By" has always been a pseudo-intellectual prat, and a Drama Queen, and courted controversy.

Here's a link from sunny Austria (I thought it would make a change).

In a further twist, the journalist who conducted the interview has demanded his name be removed from the article, claiming his work has been changed beyond recognition.

In another letter sent to Morrisey's camp, Tim Jonze writes, "I should mention that for reasons I'll probably never understand, NME have rewritten the Moz (Morrisey) piece. I had a read and virtually none of it is my words or beliefs so I've asked for my name to be taken off it. Just so you know when you read it.”

One key thing to bear in mind, that many people might not realise, is that throughout the 90's and beyond there was a sustained vendetta between Morrissey and the NME. After the Union Jack affair, he was suddenly enemy number one as far as they were concerned, and he then naturally refused any further interviews or photos for years. As Morrissey had always been their goldmine in terms of sales, which would rocket whenever he was featured in the mag, they escalated the spat to hysterical levels, desperately trying to squeeze more controversy and dosh out of his name even though he wasn't actually available for copy. So, whatever the exact details of this new row, there is many years' build up of venom on both sides which puts the matter into some context.

Here's a link from sunny Austria (I thought it would make a change).

One key thing to bear in mind, that many people might not realise, is that throughout the 90's and beyond there was a sustained vendetta between Morrissey and the NME. After the Union Jack affair, he was suddenly enemy number one as far as they were concerned, and he then naturally refused any further interviews or photos for years. As Morrissey had always been their goldmine in terms of sales, which would rocket whenever he was featured in the mag, they escalated the spat to hysterical levels, desperately trying to squeeze more controversy and dosh out of his name even though he wasn't actually available for copy. So, whatever the exact details of this new row, there is many years' build up of venom on both sides which puts the matter into some context.

The trouble is that there aren't many original personalities in rock music anymore. Or people are bored with the usual standard hackneyed stories of excessive drug taking rebelliousness or run of the mill preaching from lelfties like Paul weller or Billy Bragg telling us why we must oppose the BNP and back whatever trendy cause.

The trouble is that there aren't many original personalities in rock music anymore. Or people are bored with the usual standard hackneyed stories of excessive drug taking rebelliousness or run of the mill preaching from lelfties like Paul weller or Billy Bragg telling us why we must oppose the BNP and back whatever trendy cause.

Why do I cringe whenever I see someone use the word 'Leftie'?

Anyway, as for Morrisey - brilliant musician, but his political stand points and public persona have always been hypocritical and confused at best.

For me, he was always too concerned with appearing as a latter day Oscar Wilde, which fitted well with the image of the Smiths and his solo stuff. I just wonder how much he believes some of the guff he spouts? (This being a case in point).

It's all about the type of immigrant you are.

As long as he's sitting in some cafe ordering espresso in Italian and wearing Prada, then he's got every right to lecture other immigrants about the need to integrate in order to preserve the culture of the host country.

Morrissey 'refuses to live in the UK because of immigration explosion'

Music legend Morrissey is engulfed in a fresh racism row - after he said he refuses to live in Britain because of the "immigration explosion".

The former Smiths singer, a native of Manchester who now lives in Rome, sparked fury by claiming: "England is a memory now." And he moaned that Londoners speak with "every other accent under the sun" except British.

The comments have sparked fury among fans - with message boards slamming the singer.

The star sparked a racism row in the mid-90s when he wore a Union Jack on stage while supporting Madness, and released a track about immigrants titled Bengali In Platforms.

The solo star, who is the son of Irish immigrants, told NME: "The gates are flooded and anybody can have access to England and join in.

"The British identity is very attractive, I grew up into into it and I find it quaint and very amusing.

"Other countries have held on to their basic identity yet it seems to me that England was thrown away.

"The change in England is so rapid compared to the change in any other country.

"If you walk through Knightsbridge on any bland day of the week you won't hear an English accent.

"You'll hear every accent under the sun apart from the British accent."

Continued:the Daily mail

He makes a valid point - particularly regarding London. The other day in Hammersmith I asked 5 (five - like on the vidiprinter when your team gets hammered) different people the way to the Riverside studios, and not one spoke English.

Also, the Morrissey/race hate stuff is old news. He was lambasted at Glastonbury in 1992 for wearing a Union Jack and singing 'National Front Disco', despite the fact that the song is a send up of right wing politics. People who deride him do so on the back of ill informed comment or observation. He is one of the last great lyrical genuis' this country has produced along with David Gray, Robert Smith and Russ Abbott.