Morrissey leaves England over immigration

Morrissey 'refuses to live in the UK because of immigration explosion'

Music legend Morrissey is engulfed in a fresh racism row - after he said he refuses to live in Britain because of the "immigration explosion".

The former Smiths singer, a native of Manchester who now lives in Rome, sparked fury by claiming: "England is a memory now." And he moaned that Londoners speak with "every other accent under the sun" except British.

The comments have sparked fury among fans - with message boards slamming the singer.

The star sparked a racism row in the mid-90s when he wore a Union Jack on stage while supporting Madness, and released a track about immigrants titled Bengali In Platforms.

The solo star, who is the son of Irish immigrants, told NME: "The gates are flooded and anybody can have access to England and join in.

"The British identity is very attractive, I grew up into into it and I find it quaint and very amusing.

"Other countries have held on to their basic identity yet it seems to me that England was thrown away.

"The change in England is so rapid compared to the change in any other country.

"If you walk through Knightsbridge on any bland day of the week you won't hear an English accent.

"You'll hear every accent under the sun apart from the British accent."

Continued:the Daily mail

So the son of an immigrant, becomes an immigrant because he doesn't agree with immigration. Hmmmm :huh:

he doesn't agree with immigration on a scale which has flooded London. like he says you walk the streets in the heart of our capital and you can't hear a british accent -then there's something wrong.

I was just about to sleep and saw this thread. Is this really true? Hello Mardy, by the way.

Hi metaphoria! Yes, fascinating stuff eh?

Yes, I'm really suprised at this.

yes an immigrant explosion is the only way of describing what has happened in this country which has changed this country much faster than any other.

The 48-year-old added: "Other countries have held on to their basic identity yet it seems to me that England was thrown away.

And today Britain is just a memory

I didn't think he would've had these views...doesn't seem to ring true. I always thought that, he thought what I thought...that England is a bit of a small-time poo-hole.

I didn't think he would've had these views...doesn't seem to ring true. I always thought that, he thought what I thought...that England is a bit of a small-time poo-hole.

A lot of his songs celebrated Englishness though with some ambiguity, he did actually sing we're the last true generation of Brits you'll ever know and said most black music was blank

I know what you mean about the English ambiguity, but I've only ever known him for his lyrics in music...but now I don't know, I just don't understand.