Nurses, Having To Pay Parking To Work At The Jessops, Right Or Wrong ?

Should nurses have to pay £7.20 a day to park ?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should nurses have to pay £7.20 a day to park ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

• 6 years later...
Why shouldn't they pay to park? :huh: They are paid fairly for what they do, they're not voluntary workers.

They are paid fairly for what they do !!!! What planet do you live on ??? They are overworked and under paid ,the least they should be given is free parking .No bonuses in their job or perks . I would love for you to do their job for 1 day and still come out with the same comment .:rant:

Only solution to this problem unfortunately is to move the whole Hallamshire to the outskirts and provide miles and miles of concrete so people can park. There is simply no way to create ample parking near the hospital (although knocking down the whole of North-Broomhall should be a consideration!)

The question is: how many staff COULD come in by public transport but CHOOSE to come in by car anyway? I reckon it is rather many.

PS not that I object to that, it should be a choice.

Something which seems to have been overlooked on this thread is the fact that staff at STH who pay for a permit can only park in certain areas which are usually full by about 7.00 am.

If they start work after that time and there are no places in the staff car park they then have to pay to park in the pay and display areas, just the same as members of the public, even though they are displaying a valid parking permit. How many of you would buy a season ticket for football (for example) and then be prepared to pay again because someone else was in your seat. Not many I bet, yet those of us who work for STH are threatened with fines if we can't find a space in the staff car parks.

What bunch of fools developed hospitals - the most people-intensive of places - in parts of the city developed where parking is by nature so limited?

There are plenty of derelict industrial sites in Sheffield where a hospital could be built and adequate parking for patients and staff provided FREE - if Meadowhell can do it, I see no reason why a hospital can't.

And in these days, shift patterns, living a good way from your workplace, through house price limitations, and limited public transport don't make using a car a selfish choice -it's the only practical one for most.

My wife used to work in the Hallamshire, and had her parking pass withdrawn during a spell off work through illness. It was going to cost £7 a day, so she tried Park and Ride, at £50 a month, but it added over 2 hours to the working day, to go to Halfway, park, and get the tram in - and while we are at it, what bunch of idiots designed Supertram to go nowhere near either of the 2 major hospitals in the city? Even after she got off the tram, it was a long walk in the rain to get to the Hallamshire.

My ex was a midwife, working in Bradford - she had to use her car (which she got mileage payment for) to make house calls in the community. BRI tried to make her PAY TO PARK at the hospital before going out on community calls.

It's the height of lunacy to require an employee to use her car to carry out her duties - and then try and charge her to park in between calls! She paid, but put the charges back in on her expenses claim... they didn't notice for about a year! Then the fit hit the shan, and they said she couldn't claim the charges back - so she quit. I understand several other midwives threatened to do so too - and eventually the policy was changed, as they would have had no staff willing to work there.

And this is my point, really, if the staff refused to pay, and quit in droves, the hospital would soon have to cease to charge, as they could not staff the hospital. The answer lies with the staff on this one.

I've not read this through but it might've already been suggested. I think there should be some form of park and ride for the staff, so they can't park for free on the outskirts of town ans get a lift in free of charge. This then leaves more space for patients' families as well

At the Bradford Royal where I work , we have to pay 15.00 quid a month . We are still not guaranteed a space.

---------- Post added 19-11-2013 at 23:22 ----------

Kristian

How dare you say we are paid fairly . We haven't had a pay rise for years . The cost of living is going up & our pay is not following. So DONT GIVE ME THE CRAP YOU HAVE JUST COME OUT WITH :mad:

Kristian

How dare you say we are paid fairly . We haven't had a pay rise for years . The cost of living is going up & our pay is not following. So DONT GIVE ME THE CRAP YOU HAVE JUST COME OUT WITH :mad:

Kristian last posted on this thread when Gordon Brown was PM. Everything in the economic garden was rosy. Banks still worked and Radio 1 DJs were remembered with fondness and affection.