Courts furniture store goes bust

Wow :o That's pretty big news. Thanks for letting us know Craig, if anyone has ordered something then you are best to act sooner rather than later, it tends to be first come first served. Perhaps head to their store and demand something of equal value - they probably won't give you anything (due to the legal constraints of being in administration), but if you do get something - it's better than the alternative - nothing!

Originally posted by wibbles

I have heard they have been instructed not to re-open now as a result of vigilante style behaviour from disgruntled customers going in and just taking stuff.

Yeah, just heard something similar. Want to remind people that I said 'demand' not 'steal'... there is a big difference!

Anyone on SF caught up in this? I heard 50,000 customers nationwide are...

Surely this type of incident is proof enough that there should be special insurances taken out by the company to protect EVERYONE that purchases from their stores. People who have paid with credit card stand a chance of claiming money back as a result of the Consumer Credit Act but I feel for the other purchasers.

If a company goes into administration am I right to assume that all assets are sold off to repay outstanding debts, shareholders etc etc??

Why are customers not given the same treatment. Surely the shareholders are partly to blame for the problem and shouldn't be instantly compensated.

Originally posted by nick2

What if you have bought something on intrest free credit, but not paid anything yet ?

I would imagine that those agreements would become part of the assets and that the agreement would still be valid. Assuming that you had already received the good that is.

TBH, its not come as a surprise to me this news.

We bought a 3 piece suite from them a couple of years back and within the first 6 months it'd worn out (not just the material, but the actual frame of the chairs), this was featured on Watchdog so it wasnt even an isolated case!

Courts refused to do anything to help

Archived