Self Defence Classes

xmiax

Perhaps the more pertinant question would be what expirience the instructor in question has in self-defence technique. How long has he been studying/practising (regardless of a 'style' which is very much a MA thing).

In terms of qualifications I'd be suprised if he didn't have a UKCC. At least working towards it as I don't think it will be long before anyone wanting a job as an instructor at a leisure centre will be required by the leisure centre (or local council) to have a UKCC.

I think you're wrong.

Good self defence is about not being a situation like that in the first place. If you have to fight then you've already failed.

Which isn't to say that being able to defend yourself is pointless, far from it. But you won't learn it by attending 10 one hour sessions in a local sports centre.

I once walked away from around six people who I over heard saying they were going to attack me. By the time I got about 15 metres away two ran in front and two got behind me, then I was attacked Tell me, other than growing wings, how I 'failed' in that situation. If I had good self defence I cannot see it going much different as this came out of the blue, and I'm sure part of good self defence is not the ability to read peoples minds, which, other than walking to and from the shops constantly hiding, is the only other thing I can think of that would have been of value at the time.

I once walked away from around six people who I over heard saying they were going to attack me. By the time I got about 15 metres away two ran in front and two got behind me, then I was attacked Tell me, other than growing wings, how I 'failed' in that situation. If I had good self defence I cannot see it going much different as this came out of the blue, and I'm sure part of good self defence is not the ability to read peoples minds, which, other than walking to and from the shops constantly hiding, is the only other thing I can think of that would have been of value at the time.

PAH! In that situation, i would have read their minds in the first place! Following that i would have used "The Force" to push the first two out of the way. I would then grab a dustbin (this was in an alleyway right?) and shove it over the 3rd guys head. I would have then kicked the 4th guy in the groin and used a textbook Right knee - Left hook combo (well it always works on the Thaipads???) and floored him. The 5th and 6th people would close in and i would floor man 5 with a spinning back kick and as he is clutching his broken ribs say to the 6th person " Live or die sucker!" and walk away as man number 6 legs it !

:hihi:

How can you always be in a situation were theres no chance of violence ? unless you never leave home ?

Self defense for the realities of self protection are a mile apart from Traditional Martial Arts,

So doing a 10 hour course ( with a reputable instructor ) is well worth it. In my opinion.

Craig.

I didn't say that you can always avoid violence, but if you haven't avoided it, 90% of your self defence has failed.

There's several things though that come a long time before anything physical. Mostly to do with awareness.

Be aware of who is around and how they are acting.

Don't go to the pub with a known reputation for violence.

When you notice (awareness) something developing leave.

If you notice (awareness) that you are being followed, go somewhere with people and make someone aware.

Don't walk through dark alleyways alone late at night.

Don't take long solitary walks around the city centre late on a evening after the local team lost the football match.

Etc, etc.

A 10 hour course will not teach you anything physical that is worth knowing or that you will remember and be able to apply in a stress situation.

I'm not psychic and there isn't always a way out.

But you might have tried running as fast as you possibly could, instead of walking away.

You haven't actually described how you ended up in that situation in the first place though. Where were you, when, how long before had you noticed the group, etc...

And if all that failed, I doubt any amount of training would make much difference. I'd expect to loose badly against 6 people and I'd expect pretty much anyone in the world, top boxers, top UFC fighters to do the same, if the 6 were really committed to hurting them.

Obviously it depends on the group dynamics, if you're lucky, you pick the ring leader and take them out quickly and painfully. The rest might back down, or they might just pause long enough for you to leg it.

But my first choice of first defence is not to be there, 2nd is to run faster than them, fighting is and will always be my last choice if it's just me were talking about (ie no one else there I need to look after).

I'm not psychic and there isn't always a way out.

But you might have tried running as fast as you possibly could, instead of walking away.

You haven't actually described how you ended up in that situation in the first place though. Where were you, when, how long before had you noticed the group, etc...

And if all that failed, I doubt any amount of training would make much difference. I'd expect to loose badly against 6 people and I'd expect pretty much anyone in the world, top boxers, top UFC fighters to do the same, if the 6 were really committed to hurting them.

Obviously it depends on the group dynamics, if you're lucky, you pick the ring leader and take them out quickly and painfully. The rest might back down, or they might just pause long enough for you to leg it.

But my first choice of first defence is not to be there, 2nd is to run faster than them, fighting is and will always be my last choice if it's just me were talking about (ie no one else there I need to look after).

Sorry I get it now, good self defence is running away from what might look like trouble. So next time some kids happen to be walking near me I should hot foot it home, regardless of whether they are out for trouble. I'll not be getting out much then.

As for how I got into that trouble I was just walking along the street, not expecting any problems as I have done hundreds of times. It was well lit, infact it was a duel carriage way, perhaps you think I should had chanced the traffic so I did not put myself in danger. Obviously I avoid alleys etc.

My main point is that you cannot always avoid it. I understand what you mean about part of the self defence being to avoid the situation (something many people would not automatically see as self defence, only the stand and fight concept).

PAH! In that situation, i would have read their minds in the first place! Following that i would have used "The Force" to push the first two out of the way. I would then grab a dustbin (this was in an alleyway right?) and shove it over the 3rd guys head. I would have then kicked the 4th guy in the groin and used a textbook Right knee - Left hook combo (well it always works on the Thaipads???) and floored him. The 5th and 6th people would close in and i would floor man 5 with a spinning back kick and as he is clutching his broken ribs say to the 6th person " Live or die sucker!" and walk away as man number 6 legs it !

:hihi:

It never happens like it does in the films does it, what happened to the good old fashioned gentlemanly way, where they all waited patiently in line to have a go :smile:. Damn those films.

That's not what I've said at all. You heard them say that they were going to attack you, if you thought they were serious then you should have run at that point.

At the end of the day it will sometimes all go wrong and you end up fighting. But that shouldn't be the focus of self defence.

You didn't answer the question, would 10 hours of training have helped you, for that matter would 100, or 1000?

If people want to learn to fight, they should join an MMA gym, if they want to learn to keep themselves safe they should focus on other things.

That's not what I've said at all. You heard them say that they were going to attack you, if you thought they were serious then you should have run at that point.

At the end of the day it will sometimes all go wrong and you end up fighting. But that shouldn't be the focus of self defence.

You didn't answer the question, would 10 hours of training have helped you, for that matter would 100, or 1000?

If people want to learn to fight, they should join an MMA gym, if they want to learn to keep themselves safe they should focus on other things.

I don't think any amount would in that example, but it was the most extreme I have encountered. Luckily I don't get into those kind of situations as standard, mainly for the reasons already mentioned i.e. avoiding dodgy places. Maybe I could have legged it, but perhaps I thought walking would have worked. Maybe if i had ran there may have been someone quicker on my heels. Who knows?

My other point is that no matter what you do, some people are just out there looking to cause trouble, mainly in groups for obvious reasons.