Self Defence Classes

xmiax

I presume mr_busdriver that your employer checked you had a PSV before letting you loose on the roads in a 10 ton, £80,000 vehicle of mass destruction?

Did you sit in the interview and say "Yawn, here we go again, experience, background, yada yada yada". Or did you just answer the questions and then get the job?

I presume mr_busdriver that your employer checked you had a PSV before letting you loose on the roads in a 10 ton, £80,000 vehicle of mass destruction?

Did you sit in the interview and say "Yawn, here we go again, experience, background, yada yada yada". Or did you just answer the questions and then get the job?

You'd be suprised who they let drive a bus these days.

You probably will even have seen women driving buses. :help: "help" says the passenger

Hi Cyclone,

What qualifications are their that allow you to teach martial arts, with so many so called governing bodies and many disciplines what actually allows you to teach. I know many instructors have many years of experience but is their anyone qualification that does allow you instruct in any discipline.

Their is a big differnce betweem gaining a black belt and having a coaching/teaching qualification.

In most other sports with one governing body, for example football their is a specific coaching progression. More specifically in canoeing which has many disciplines their is an excelleent system of "grades/stars" in ones own perforamnce and a very different route for actually coaching however you cannot progress as a coach unless your own performance is up to scratch in short the sport wants and has good coaches who are proficient paddlers with a minimum standard acroos the board. I am not sure if martial arts has this!!

I am asking the question because i am interested in peoples views.

Depends on what you claim to teach. Each style or school generally controls who is allowed to teach their syllabus.

Self defence is obviously not a specific style or school, so I was wondering what 'fully qualified' in the OPs post meant.

The UK Sports Council recognise the BJJA (British Jiu Jitsu Association) of which the style I train/teach in TJF (The Jitsu Foundation) is a member, so we have sports council recognition through that association. We are trying to get recognised directly as we believe that we have enough members now to warrant it. I don't think that this is any sort of requirement though, it just makes it easier for us as a style to get insurance for teaching and for training.

In my own style upto 1st kyu it's purely based on performance. Beyond that it's a combination of teaching ability and performance. I don't necessarily agree with this, as being good doesn't make you a good instructor and vice versa, although probably unlike canoeing (and definitely unlike football) I don't think you can be a good coach without at least being pretty decent at it yourself. I can't speak for any other style though, as I've never trained to a high enough level to teach anything else.

Self defence though (as I said earlier) isn't really about fighting. If you're fighting, your self defence has already failed really. So I never claim to teach it myself and I'm sceptical when I see it advertised.

Its what you can do on the mat that counts, not what belt you wear :D

Of course self defense is about defending yourself, so if you can't talk your way out, you have to physically defend yourself ie fighting.

I'm sure anyone going to a self defense class wouldn't stay long if all you learn is de-escalation :gag:

If its a good self defense class go and do it. In this day and age its important to learn how to look after yourself.

Good luck with the new class.

Craig.

http://www.kapapsheffield.co.uk

Do you get assessed on coaching/teaching ability as part of your higher level grading, i dont know many styles that do this!

Yes, but it's an ongoing assessment, not done as part of the grading (different emphasis there).

The coaching assessments until shodan are done by your instructor and at regional and national events.

After that there are actually coaching grades between each dan grade, which are assessed at a national level and required before you can go for the next dan grade.

Its what you can do on the mat that counts, not what belt you wear :D

Of course self defense is about defending yourself, so if you can't talk your way out, you have to physically defend yourself ie fighting.

I'm sure anyone going to a self defense class wouldn't stay long if all you learn is de-escalation :gag:

I think you're wrong.

Good self defence is about not being a situation like that in the first place. If you have to fight then you've already failed.

If its a good self defense class go and do it. In this day and age its important to learn how to look after yourself.

Good luck with the new class.

Craig.

Which isn't to say that being able to defend yourself is pointless, far from it. But you won't learn it by attending 10 one hour sessions in a local sports centre.

How can you always be in a situation were theres no chance of violence ? unless you never leave home ?

Self defense for the realities of self protection are a mile apart from Traditional Martial Arts,

So doing a 10 hour course ( with a reputable instructor ) is well worth it. In my opinion.

Craig.