Best Fish and Chips in Sheffield thread

Opposite the old Hillsborough baths now Weatherspoons.

They are worth a try, best in the area.

"Riverside" is one of the better places :)

"Riverside" is one of the better places :)

Will give it another try, I've only been there once and wasn't particularly impressed.

I had an absolutely huge haddock from Townend Chippy (the one next to Viva Tequila) on Friday. Was lovely.

Does anyone know if Shelley's is open tomorrow (Thursday?) lunchtime?

Does anyone know if Shelley's is open tomorrow (Thursday?) lunchtime?

i will be there at 11.30 am for the best fish n chips in stocksbridge

See you there then. I went in this evening and picked up an opening times card (and told them to get a website!)

See you there then. I went in this evening and picked up an opening times card (and told them to get a website!)

i have a self imposed two visits per week due to my belt getting too tight.

Went to Handsworth Fish Bar last night. I had chips snd fish, the wife had chips and sheffield fishcake. Absolutly fab!!

The Star have asked the all important question discussed on this thread..

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/where-s-your-favourite-chippy-we-ask-as-miss-sheffield-dons-a-chip-dress-for-national-chip-week-1-5421720

and used Harry Ramsdens in Meadowhall as the backdrop to the story. Where they dont even serve real (ie home peeled/cut) chips or real (freshly battered) fish.

Tried Brendas at the back of the Moor on Friday, first time for years, although the fish was quite small the quality was very good, crunchy golden batter and lovely flaky white fish, the chips were also very good, highly recommended.

My top three:

1. Dawsons (its in Worksop but its drivable so i'm including it)

2. Brendas

3. Tony's (Mosborough)

Another vote for Brenda's, and also for Castle Market Chippy (which is inside the market). It's run by the sister of the woman who owns Brenda's, and is really good. I guess it won't survive the move to the new market though, and if it does, she'll be competing with her sister just round the corner!

Is Fergies on Woodseats still going? They use to be fantastic years ago! Lowedges Fisheries use to be good too, don't know what they are like now though. Anyone remember that chip shop at the top of Corporation St, demolished now. Things can change dramatically within a short time ... look at Tony's at Mosborough for a prime example.