Steam train on the Derby line

Walking down the bottom of Woodseats Road last night, and there's a whacking great steam train down on the railway track. Looked like it was waiting to build up a head of steam or whatever it is. It had a couple of carriages attached and lit up, but nobody in them - just a driver. Anybody know anything about it?

I'm not a spotter or owt - just curious. :)

Looks like it was train 5Z51, the 19:10 Mansfield to Butterley empty stock movement, was scheduled to stand in the Heeley loop from 2022 to 2042. There is a preserved railway at Butterley, where it would either have been returning to base there, or visiting for a special event.

Thanks Andy, for that terrifically and unexpectedly precise response!

Originally posted by lazyfish

Walking down the bottom of Woodseats Road last night, and there's a whacking great steam train down on the railway track. . :)

It's not before time the service was improved;)

It's not uncommon to hear at night the sound of steam locomotives on that line. Just a shame that as it is a main line the steam loco's usually run very late at nigh or in the early hours of the morning. Years back remember standing on Woodseats road as a ttrain passed by and as I was looking over the bridge I walked home looking like some sort of demented panda.

Aye, ive seen a steam train on there before, was quite odd to see it

used to word at wardson tools bang next to there and you could hear em

If anybody is interested there is a steam train running back to derby on saturday night and it is going through moorthorpe station at about 17:00 so it is possible it will go through sheffield at about 17:45 thats if it is stopping to take on water the loco in question is the duchess of sutherland and it is returning from york so you could say it will be going through the woodseats loop or down the main line at 18:00 or just after the other possiblity is that they could send it down the old road to chesterfield and by pass sheffield altogether as for the latter I havent got any details on it all I know is that I will either be at moorthorpe station or at swinton to video it.

Originally posted by bigkev

If anybody is interested there is a steam train running back to derby on saturday night and it is going through moorthorpe station at about 17:00 so it is possible it will go through sheffield at about 17:45 thats if it is stopping to take on water the loco in question is the duchess of sutherland and it is returning from york so you could say it will be going through the woodseats loop or down the main line at 18:00 or just after the other possiblity is that they could send it down the old road to chesterfield and by pass sheffield altogether as for the latter I havent got any details on it all I know is that I will either be at moorthorpe station or at swinton to video it.

cant take on water in sheffield any longer, nearest place is barrowhill.

please could you let me know whereabouts moorthorpe station is

Originally posted by roger

please could you let me know whereabouts moorthorpe station is

Its a bit far mate, Swinton would be better wouldn't it? Or in fact any bridge on its route?

ok any idea of an approx time for swinton or where i can obtain such info