Stray Cat - What to do now?

We have a stray cat who has decided to move into our garden.

Previously he was being fed by the chap across the road from us, but he passed away a few months ago. We started to feed him as we weren't sure if the other person left in the house was.... we always took the food over to him as we really didn't want him to camp out on our doorstep as he did over there. :(. We have lived in our house 6 months and have seen him every day since we moved in.

As it was, a week later he decided to 'move' over to our house and has been in resident since :rolleyes:

We have asked around and confirmed that he is stray, however he is very tame and loves being stroked and we have a constant battle to stop him getting into our house! however we already have 2 cats and taking him in is simply not a viable option.

We don't know how old he is, he is quite a small cat and is obviously thin and could do with a good clean! could be male or female - if male is neutered. He has a lovely nature and sweet temperament and can purr like you wouldn't believe and has no meow....

I have tried a few shelter and they have said that they are full to capacity, I've also tried to bribe friends, work colleagues and family to take him in - to no avail :huh:.

Any suggestions - can anyone help? :help: With winter fast approaching it would break my heart to see him out all winter.

Edited by sheffield_uk
change title

Sheffield_uk thats really kind of you trying to help him.

I am just going to order some wormers - and so once they come - I can send you some over for him. Do you know if he;s castrated or not? Give the RSPCA a call - I think they are doing some vouchers to help with that.

Then - u could get some pics of him and a nice write up and we could put him up for adoption on the site. Or u could put him up on catchat.ORG as they have a lot of members on there.

Good luck and at worse u could make him up a little shelter to give him somewhere warm to snuggle into - even if it is outside.

keep in touch

ahh, poor little lad. I would love to take him in, only im not too sure my housemate would be impressed!! I already have a hamster and a snake too, so wouldn't want them put in any harms way. (They live in separate rooms and im sure I could keep cat away from hamster etc but still).

However, just reading what Rain had put, about if you cant find an adoption home and Ive got an idea of how I could help....

In my previous house, my housemate did get two kittens. At times they were left outside befoire we put them a catflap in and I felt bad when it was raining... so i took it upon myself to build a little 'cat shelter' for them.

Its nothing amazing, made out of scrap wood but its fairly waterproofed as I covered it with tarpaulin. With a few blankets in it and placed somewhere a bit hidden it could be a nice little place for your stray friend??

Its only sat in my outhouse at the moment, so if/when you'd like it you are welcome to it! I live in Crookes though and it would need to be collected.

Here is a picture of the shelter...like i say, its not as good as these fancy things you can buy but i was quite proud of myself!! :D

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/photo.php?pid=38496622&id=61102558

Let me know and Good luck with him. xx

i do have some milbemax for cats,which i got from peak vet last week,and i also do have a cat kennel, which you can have,most of my cats are indoors,we only need one for holly if she stays out,we are not far from you,send me a pm and will sort something out,hope that helps

What a good idea to have a shelter in the garden! I think if i did that two of my own cats would never come inside again!! Theyd think it was heaven! I think its a super idea though :) (but def get your friendly stray neutered and wormed though too ;)

Thanks for your replies... it's great to see people care about these poor little strays. It breaks my heart to see them!

Rain, I don't know if the cat is male or female - If male he is definitely neutered as he has no furry 'add ons' and if female probably speyed also as there is no sign of any kittens.

I have posted him as 'found' on several lost and found sites and also rang my local vets to no avail.

He currently shelters under a conifer at the side of our house which is also sheltered by our neighbours bay window. But we have toyed with the idea of a shelter too - so thanks for the offers... I'll speak to my other half and come back to you on those.

I'd love for him to be rehomed so he can have the love and affection he craves... it's so sad that he'll ignore food just so he can be stroked.

Ahhh he sounds like a lovely cat - just a thought but you havent had him checked at a vet for a chip have you? Unfortunately the stray I have isnt chipped but you never know yours may be? Might be worth a try as a last resort before you put up rehoming ads pershaps. Good luck with him (or her!) anyway.

Another thought - maybe you could post a pic on here... there are people on here who may be able to rehome and a pic woud help perhaps?

This, again, restores a little of my faith in human nature. What a lovely thing to do Sheff uk :D

aahh what a lovely cat!

At least if you have checked for a chip you know there is nothing more you can do to find a possible previous owner (by the way if you go to the vets and you are not sure yourself if it is male or female you could ask them to tell you :thumbsup: )

Cat is now in our conservatory! the weather has been so bad today we decided we couldn't leave him out any longer.

He now has a litter tray, food, water a cat bed and two sofas!!

He has been to the vets tonight - he is not microchipped and is a boy!

Booked in again on Monday for a check up - I've got to ring the RSPCA on sunday night for a number so that he can have his check up free and the RSPCA will pay for that - if he needs any further treatment I need to contact the RSPCA in Sheffield.

Will keep you posted

Haha, this is great! I bet he thinks he's gone to heaven...from being a stray to having all that comfort and luxury!

Good for you Sheffield_UK, im sure you've made him very happy to know he's loved!

Look forward to more news! x