Stray Cat - What to do now?

sheffield_uk

Sounds like the RSPCA are really helping with vet bills for strays then? How did you go about asking for help? Did you contact Sheffield originally? National helpline? And good for Rainrescue for offering assistance.

Puss sounds a star, bless him x

When I took him to the vets they told me that the RSPCA pay for a consultation and treatment up to £59 (I think), she gave me an 0300 number to call and tell them I'd found a stray and to ask for a log number - this lasts 24 hours and you need to give this to the vets when you take the cat in. She then said to call Sheffield RSPCA and ask if they would pay towards any treatment he needed - she said they had a maximum amount, but will sometimes give more if requested.

Well, I can honestly say I was getting anxious about taking Eric (as we've named him)to the vets this afternoon. Even more so when I got there as his breathing was rattly I wasn't sure if he was purring or struggling to breathe.

Anyway, the vet checked him over and listening to his chest, etc... I could hear his breathing and I mentioned to her that I wasn't sure if he was purring - he was!

The vet says he could be between 8 and 12, although could be as young as 6 it would depend on the quality of life he's had.

Bless, he sat happily on the table and let me fuss him. He never flinched when she injected him twice. One was antibiotic and I'm not sure what the second one was - possibly decongestant. She also gave him a worming tablet.

She reckons he has flu as he is struggling to breathe and it is upper respiratory - hopefully we've caught it in time. I've to keep an eye on him and if he stops eating need to take him back as it could have developed into pneumonia.

Strangely enough he doesn't have fleas , I swear I bet she thought he was my cat as he was so happy for me to handle him and stroke him.

Edited by sheffield_uk

Thanks - Eric has been hanging around since at least February (which is when we moved into the area).

I will keep on trying to get him rehomed. If anyone can take in this little fella please let me know.

Could you get an RSPCA voucher and get him neutered first maybe (if he hasn't been done ) ? that would help him to find a new home, also fill out a new thread using the re-homing form at the top in the stickies, giving as much info on Eric as you possibly can, that will help him to get the very best home possible :)