1981 price of beer

during the 1981 steel strike sam smiths pubs had beer mats printed with "sam smiths supports the steel strikers" or words to that effect and a promise to cap the price of bitter until the strike was over,i have emailed the brewery and asked what was the price of old brewery bitter in 1981 but still waiting for a reply ,anyone remember?

during the 1981 steel strike sam smiths pubs had beer mats printed with "sam smiths supports the steel strikers" or words to that effect and a promise to cap the price of bitter until the strike was over,i have emailed the brewery and asked what was the price of old brewery bitter in 1981 but still waiting for a reply ,anyone remember?

I left the country in

November 1981 and, although I wouldn't touch Sam Smiths I think beer was around 50 p, varied a bit wherever you supped. I suppose. Just guessing here, as I was into homebrewing at that time.

The weird world of Sam Smiths don't do customer service I'm afraid.

I left the country in

November 1981 and, although I wouldn't touch Sam Smiths I think beer was around 50 p, varied a bit wherever you supped. I suppose. Just guessing here, as I was into homebrewing at that time.

They sold Sam Smith's at the Black Swan. Pub good, beer beyond adjective description.

---------- Post added 14-10-2017 at 22:15 ----------

The weird world of Sam Smiths don't do customer service I'm afraid.

Summat else they're not good at then ?

Edited by stpetre
Spell

I left the country in

You are correct about the 50p. I was working in North Yorkshire 1980/81 and remember Sam Smith's houses displaying a poster in their windows of a huge 50p piece advertising the price of a pint of their bitter.

They sold Sam Smith's at the Black Swan. Pub good, beer beyond adjective description.

---------- Post added 14-10-2017 at 22:15 ----------

Summat else they're not good at then ?

Black Swan = Black Velvet or Black and Tan, or anything but Sam Smith's bitter, neat

---------- Post added 14-10-2017 at 22:52 ----------

I know I answered your post already, but I was thinking of beer prices at that time. However, I must correct you on the timing of the British Steel strike it was the first 3 months of 1980, not 1981 as you stated.

Edited by Ontarian1981

I recall a pint of stones cost 16 pence in 1974. By 1978 a pint in town at The Nelson was costing 35 pence.

I recall a pint of stones cost 16 pence in 1974. By 1978 a pint in town at The Nelson was costing 35 pence.

16 pence (old 1s-7d) in 1974 ? (I know we went decimal in 1971) but where ? I started drinking Stones' in Pitsmoor in 1965 and it was 1s-6d then (15 pence).

Edited by stpetre
add

16 pence (old 1s-7d) in 1974 ? (I know we went decimal in 1971) but where ? I started drinking Stones' in Pitsmoor in 1965 and it was 1s-6d then (15 pence).

Who was your maths teacher at Burnie? 16p was 3/2 and 15p was three bob. :)

Actually 1-6d was between 7and8p in the decimal system.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Black Swan = Black Velvet or Black and Tan, or anything but Sam Smith's bitter, neat

---------- Post added 14-10-2017 at 22:52 ----------

I know I answered your post already, but I was thinking of beer prices at that time. However, I must correct you on the timing of the British Steel strike it was the first 3 months of 1980, not 1981 as you stated.

i was talking to one of the strikers he said 1981 just going on what he said I couldn't remember the year and he said 54p in the grouse at stocksbridge.

Edited by choogling

i was talking to one of the strikers he said 1981 just going on what he said I couldn't remember the year and he said 54p in the grouse at stocksbridge.

I know the dates because the strike affected me as I was a contractor who did work at several BSC plants including Stocksbridge . Due to the strike I had to find other outlets for my skills. The price of beer I quoted was a ballpark guess on my part, as I knew it was around the 50p mark in those days, maybe a little less at clubs and legions.