NHS dental crowns

8 years ago I had dental work done on my upper four front teeth privately. The dentist shaved my teeth into tiny little stumps to fit crowns on.

A couple of years ago one fell out and my nhs dentist recemented it back on but a week later it came out again so she made a new crown on the nhs. It lasted a year before it came out whilst eating. I swallowed it. The tooth structure underneath is an awful little brown peg and it's very embarrassing talking to people.

She put a temporary in whilst I had to wait 3 weeks for a new crown to be made. The temporary came out as soon as I left the surgery exposing my little brown stump again. I'm now thinking of changing dentists.

The NHS dentist is Polish and I don't think she's very good. While I don't have anything against polish people, I'd rather have an english dentist.

Does anyone else have dental crowns done on the NHS and if so how long have they lasted?

You will find people in need of excellent dental treatment (and a hell of a lot cheaper) flock to our chums in eastern europe. :)

Generally, dental crowns last between five and 15 years.

If one only lasted a year, perhaps they would do it again, for free? How much was the cost, private vs public?

Why should the NHS be doing crowns, are they a vanity project, they certainly dont last as long as false teeth ;)

Generally, dental crowns last between five and 15 years.

If one only lasted a year, perhaps they would do it again, for free? How much was the cost, private vs public?

Why should the NHS be doing crowns, are they a vanity project, they certainly dont last as long as false teeth ;)

The private dentist from Millhouses charged me £6500 for four crowns plus whitening the rest of my teeth. Nhs Band 3 course of treatment – £244.30, This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work.

Emergency dental treatment – £20.60

This covers emergency care in a primary care NHS dental practice such as pain relief or a temporary filling.

Band 1 course of treatment – £20.60

This covers an examination, diagnosis (including X-rays), advice on how to prevent future problems, a scale and polish if clinically needed, and preventative care such as the application of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant if appropriate.

Band 2 course of treatment – £56.30

This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, root canal work or removal of teeth but not more complex items covered by Band 3.

Band 3 course of treatment – £244.30

This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work

You will find people in need of excellent dental treatment (and a hell of a lot cheaper) flock to our chums in eastern europe. :)

So true, some of the best dental treatment in the world.

So true, some of the best dental treatment in the world.

How could one nationality be better than another, maybe cheaper?

I was looking at dental implants somewhere in Eastern Europe and it was a lot cheaper than the UK and it included an overnight stay and your flight in the price.

They claim they are trained to Swiss standards, no idea what these standards are.

I don't know anyone who has had dental work done at these clinics but it would be nice to know if any one can give recommendations, not that I'm planning to go to one.

How could one nationality be better than another, maybe cheaper?

Cheaper generally, assuming dental treatment and/or skill is much lower in less affluent countries is incorrect.

I have friends in Asia, they're adamant the dentists there are a match for any of the fancy ones in central London, just a fraction of the price.

Cheaper generally, assuming dental treatment and/or skill is much lower in less affluent countries is incorrect.

I have friends in Asia, they're adamant the dentists there are a match for any of the fancy ones in central London, just a fraction of the price.

I am going through a similar procedure at the minute and although there are huge savings to be made you have to think what happens if something goes wrong when your back in the UK, you wouldn't be able to have it fixed on the NHS and would be forced to go private.

Sometimes these cheap prices seem too good to be true and i agree, id prefer to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and go with a local and skilled dentist that will be there should something go wrong even if it does cost more.

---------- Post added 07-09-2017 at 13:16 ----------

8 years ago I had dental work done on my upper four front teeth privately. The dentist shaved my teeth into tiny little stumps to fit crowns on.

A couple of years ago one fell out and my nhs dentist recemented it back on but a week later it came out again so she made a new crown on the nhs. It lasted a year before it came out whilst eating. I swallowed it. The tooth structure underneath is an awful little brown peg and it's very embarrassing talking to people.

She put a temporary in whilst I had to wait 3 weeks for a new crown to be made. The temporary came out as soon as I left the surgery exposing my little brown stump again. I'm now thinking of changing dentists.

The NHS dentist is Polish and I don't think she's very good. While I don't have anything against polish people, I'd rather have an english dentist.

Does anyone else have dental crowns done on the NHS and if so how long have they lasted?

To be honest after that long i would be looking at having dental implants put in, its pretty pricey (my 4 front teeth are costing around £7500) but they should last a lifetime.

The private dentist from Millhouses charged me £6500 for four crowns plus whitening the rest of my teeth.

Nhs Band 3 course of treatment – £244.30, This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2 above, plus crowns, dentures, bridges and other laboratory work.

Huh! - I know which I'd take.

Huh! - I know which I'd take.

I doubt they would have been just crowns, at that price they are likely to have been full implants which aren't available on the NHS.

I am going through a similar procedure at the minute and although there are huge savings to be made you have to think what happens if something goes wrong when your back in the UK, you wouldn't be able to have it fixed on the NHS and would be forced to go private.

Sometimes these cheap prices seem too good to be true and i agree, id prefer to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and go with a local and skilled dentist that will be there should something go wrong even if it does cost more.

---------- Post added 07-09-2017 at 13:16 ----------

To be honest after that long i would be looking at having dental implants put in, its pretty pricey (my 4 front teeth are costing around £7500) but they should last a lifetime.

It's simply a case of rip off Britain.