'Bishop' who would not ordain women priests 'suprise to many'-report

Such drama, especially for a Church that has had a woman as it's Head for nigh on 70 years.And bizarrely forces it's parishioners to pray for Her Maj and family at every mass.

I'm not Anglican, but this decision to protest a bishop is political and not theological no matter what the traditional teachings that church has on the subject. News like this gives me the impression the c of e is irrelevant. And changes their traditional teachings at whim

The Church of England failed to anticipate the opposition to appointing a bishop in Sheffield who would not ordain women priests, a report has found. The Right Reverend Philip North turned down the post of Bishop of Sheffield in March for 'personal reasons' following opposition to his stance on female priests. Sir Philip Mawer has now published a 75-page report drawing on submission from more than 100 people following calls for an independent inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the failed appointment. He ruled that the nomination of Bishop North, who was known for his stance on not ordaining women priests, came as a "surprise to many" in the Church of England which indicated "a failure to inform and educate people that such a nomination was possible." The report also said that it "points to a failure to anticipate the likely reaction to Bishop North’s nomination and to plan for handling it." Sir Philip recommends more work should be done to inform and educate within the church about a general synod settlement in 2014 that allowed the consecration of women as bishops. He said the story of the Sheffield nomination was "not populated by villains but by people who were simply seeking to do their best" and there was "no merit" in "searching for scapegoats." Sir Philip added: "If those in the minority wish to continue as honoured and full members of the Church of England, they need to ensure that they act and speak in ways which show understanding of the position of ordained women." The country's most senior clergymen - the Most Reverend Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Most Reverend John Sentamu, the Archbishop of York - said they would read the report, discuss it with the house of bishops and respond 'in due course.' In a statement, The Rt Revd Dr Pete Wilcox, Bishop of Sheffield, and the Rt Revd Peter Burrows, Bishop of Doncaster, said: "The report deliberately refrains from apportioning blame. "While not shying away from searching questions, it adopts a generous tone, seeking as far as possible to believe the best about the motivations of all the people involved." They added: "As bishops with our leadership teams, and as a diocese, we need to now take time to absorb and understand the analysis contained in the report." The Very Reverend Dr Pete Wilcox is to be installed as the next Bishop of Sheffield on September 23 at Sheffield Cathedral.

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-bishop-appointment-who-would-not-ordain-women-priests-surprise-to-many-says-report-1-8756122

Edited by WestTinsley

Guest makapaka

Of course it's irrelevant.

It amazes me why anyone is remotely interested in who tells them made up stories once a week.

surprise to many in the church of england? this just shows what a bunch of no hopers they are. this guys views on the ordination of women priests was well known. and dont forget he was shown the door in whitby for exactly the same reasons.

Its all a con ,they should all be religion ltd because that's what they are,no end product though.

Isn't it funny how progressive leftists are forever harassing Christianity, pressuring it to reform itself in al sorts of ways, but they leave Islam. Sikhism and Judaism alone? :roll:

Isn't it funny how progressive leftists are forever harassing Christianity, pressuring it to reform itself in al sorts of ways, but they leave Islam. Sikhism and Judaism alone? :roll:
I wouldn't call those types "leftists" .. that sounds like learned or fascist talk in my book.. liberals would be a truer term (??)...

It seems the c of e is following their American sister church in changing laws ever other year..furthermore, it's the church of the state at the end of the day.. that's the church's problem.. it's being influenced by politics..not whatever teachings they had

Edited by WestTinsley

Indeed. Although I wouldn't call them 'progressive leftists' I'd call them ignorant. They're just people who've seen someone else criticise Christianity and they can't be bothered to research it themselves so they just call it rubbish and fairytales. They can't just leave it alone and let those who believe get on with their lives, they feel compelled to call them names.

Guest makapaka
Indeed. Although I wouldn't call them 'progressive leftists' I'd call them ignorant. They're just people who've seen someone else criticise Christianity and they can't be bothered to research it themselves so they just call it rubbish and fairytales. They can't just leave it alone and let those who believe get on with their lives, they feel compelled to call them names.

I'm not criticising it. People can do what they want.

Just bored of people making scandals out of their hobbies.

A man says a woman can't say things to people that doesn't make sense - so what?

It's like me getting up every week and telling people I'm a representative of the sun gods and saying it's not right a woman should say same.

People would think that was daft.

I guess the progressive lefties leave harassing Sikhs, Jews and Muslims to the far right?

People should be free to practice whatever religion/beliefs they chose, however when organised religion of any faith gets involved in debates about social issues eg. abortion, same sex marriage they should be prepared to have their views challenged, as anyone should.

Granted that shouldn't descend into name calling.

I guess the progressive lefties leave harassing Sikhs, Jews and Muslims to the far right?

People should be free to practice whatever religion/beliefs they chose, however when organised religion of any faith gets involved in debates about social issues eg. abortion, same sex marriage they should be prepared to have their views challenged, as anyone should.

Granted that shouldn't descend into name calling.

Organised religions of many faiths have absolutely no intention of having any sort of debate about abortion or same sex marriage.

Organised religions of many faiths have absolutely no intention of having any sort of debate about abortion or same sex marriage.

Really? I'm fairly certain I've read articles relating to quotes/the position of religious leaders from most of the main faiths about abortion/same sex marriage.

You thought I was going to say something?

Cant be bothered.