Does anyone still eat tripe?

i was talking to my partner about eating tripe the other day, when we were kids back in the 60's we ate it with just salt and vinegar, and perhaps a slice of bread,i told her we didn't cook it and it was raw, she swears blind it must have been cooked, but to the best of my knowledge i recall it being raw, anyone still buy it? it used to be our Saturday teatime treat

:gag::gag:

i know, i dont think i could eat it now :confused:

i know, i dont think i could eat it now :confused:

I tried a few things when I was a young un, things like cockles, whelks and tripe, nowadays I couldnt imagine eating them.

i was talking to my partner about eating tripe the other day, when we were kids back in the 60's we ate it with just salt and vinegar, and perhaps a slice of bread,i told her we didn't cook it and it was raw, she swears blind it must have been cooked, but to the best of my knowledge i recall it being raw, anyone still buy it? it used to be our Saturday teatime treat

I reckon you're right. Never liked it myself but I'm sure it was sold raw in the old Castle Market. Like a white flannel.

I use to eat it, it was best with salt and vinegar but some people use to cook it in milk with onions yuk! I never new if it was raw or not but I know they had to bleach it because they said customers wouldn't buy it if it was browny coloured.

I tried some about ten years ago and it didn't taste the same, all I could taste was a disinfection sort of taste maybe they have a different way of cleaning it today.

My favourite was the cow heel bits they use to sell in the market on little plates with salt and vinegar just as they did with the tripe pieces.

I use to eat it, it was best with salt and vinegar but some people use to cook it in milk with onions yuk! I never new if it was raw or not but I know they had to bleach it because they said customers wouldn't buy it if it was browny coloured.

I tried some about ten years ago and it didn't taste the same, all I could taste was a disinfection sort of taste maybe they have a different way of cleaning it today.

My favourite was the cow heel bits they use to sell in the market on little plates with salt and vinegar just as they did with the tripe pieces.

Disinfectant? That's probably due to Health & Safety.?

i might give it another go, might also look for the heel that you are talking about :thumbsup:

I tried a few things when I was a young un, things like cockles, whelks and tripe, nowadays I couldnt imagine eating them.

You sound like my late dad. If you'd offered him a dead cow, the only thing left at the end would be a couple of horns.

Funny though now, if you could get one of the trendy chefs to cook things like tripe, whelks & cockles & serve them in a foaming jus with a hint of coriander - £30 as a starter.

I saw some for sale at Chatsworth Farm Shop only a few weeks ago.

I must admit that the way we used to eat tripe back in the 60's was certainly not the best way to enjoy it. I visit Spain quite a lot and the way they cook tripe or callos (in Spanish), is fantastic, it makes for a wonderful tasty stew type meal, served with fresh crusty bread there's nothing better.

One Spanish tripe recipe HERE https://www.thespruceeats.com/madrid-style-tripe-recipe-callos-madrilenos-3082870 similar to the one I mention but I'm sure a trawl of the net will produce others.

Does anyone remember UCP shops and restaurants back then? UCP stood for United Cow/Cattle Products I believe and tripe and cow heels were the staple food. Not sure if they were in Yorkshire but in Lancashire where I grew up they were quite popular.

Disinfectant? That's probably due to Health & Safety.?

Bleached with chlorine.

If you can still taste/smell it, it hasn't been rinsed properly.

It will have been cooked, though.

Raw tripe is only good for dogs.