Taking photos in public

Where does it mention it needing to be published ?

Are you looking at the same PDF as me?

Just under where it mentions some ones human rights, top right, the next paragraph.

Yes that paragraph states...

"The use of a long lens to take a photo of someone in a private place, such as their home, without their consent, is an invasion of privacy even though the photo was taken from a public place"

My bold...

You're missing that point... they guy wasn't using a lens to take a photograph of you. He was photographing your lion.. if you're captured in the background of such a photo that's incidental, and no breach of privacy was intended, and you would have a hard time proving there was.

Now if he went ahead and published that photo, without first editing out you in your frillies in the background (or indeed asking your permission to publish) you would most definitely have an argument in court.

BTW, the reason I mentioned being published.. is because that's what tinfoilhat described.

Edited by Swampster

Informally, we're already there sometimes.

Driving home from London a few months ago, I stopped for a break and went to sit in a little park. There were some ducks messing around on a lake and I took my compact camera out of my bag and took a photo of said ducks. There was nothing in shot except the ducks, the lake, and the fields beyond it.

A woman came over (from the playground behind me), demanding to know why I was in the park on my own taking photos. Apparently being an adult on your own in a park is now suspicious :rolleyes:

I'd have indicated that I didn't wish to discuss anything with her whatsoever and would appreciate it if she'd stop bothering me.

Perhaps they feel some charm, emotion or pleasure in the actions or expressions of humans and animals, or in the case of the person photographing your fibreglass lion; an interesting curio that would make a good photograph.

I agree, it would have. But I looked out of the window and saw a lens pointed at me, I went to the door step with not even a pair of socks on and asked what he was doing. He was arrogant enough to think that I should not be entitled to that answer and the Benny hill scene ensued.

Like I said, some people get behind a lens and are arrogant enough to think that they are not accountable for anything.

Well you just have to look at where that gets you with what happened to the war correspondent (RIP) that was killed in Syria.

Yes that paragraph states...

"The use of a long lens to take a photo of someone in a private place, such as their home, without their consent, is an invasion of privacy even though the photo was taken from a public place"

My bold...

You're missing that point... they guy wasn't using a lens to take a photograph of you. He was photographing your lion.. if you're captured in the background of such a photo that's incidental, and no breach of privacy was intended, and you would have a hard time proving there was.

Now if he went ahead and published that photo, without first editing out you in your frillies in the background (or indeed asking your permission to publish) you would most definitely have an argument in court.

And your missing the point, I gave him chance to put that across and he at first chose not to. By then I would not have believed anything he said anyhow and only seeing the picture would have laid it to rest. How am I to know what he is taking pictures of ?

I looked out of my window and there is a lens pointed at me, its not hard to grasp where the annoyance came from. I'm not some loono that goes looking for people with a Kodak, I was in MY home.

Now that is a down and out lie and deformation. Show me where I say that or take it back.

Perhaps a reference to the discussion oldskater and I were having (a few pages back now?)

You said:

My dads bigger than your dad :hihi:

I don't think we are talking about women here, they tend to be a bit more polite about it, but I doubt the size of someone comes into it if you feel the need to protect your family or property.

I have always been of the belief that no matter how 'hard' you are there is always someone 'harder', so its inevitable that a kicking is what you are going to come up against at some stage, no matter who you are.

Its a matter of principle for me, I would sooner have a kicking for protecting the kids than taking pictures of them.

So, I'm a photographer. Say I take a photo of your kids. You say its inevitable that a kicking is what you are going to come up against at some stage. Does that mean you'd give me a kicking for taking a photo of your kids? That was the point of the original discussion between me and oldskater.

If you meant something else, please clarify.

I agree, it would have. But I looked out of the window and saw a lens pointed at me, I went to the door step with not even a pair of socks on and asked what he was doing. He was arrogant enough to think that I should not be entitled to that answer and the Benny hill scene ensued.

Like I said, some people get behind a lens and are arrogant enough to think that they are not accountable for anything.

Well you just have to look at where that gets you with what happened to the war correspondent (RIP) that was killed in Syria.

I'd agree that it's very arrogant to take a photograph of someone's property and not expect to engage with them in any away if they come to discuss it with you. He sounds like a nut-job if he just started screaming at you. Maybe you shouted at him regarding what he was doing before you got close. If would be strange to start chasing someone or to start running away from someone if you were both standing close together. :D Very Benny Hill indeed.

If I'd been nearby I think I'd like to have filmed the chase. Purely for entertainment value. I'd have been happy to share a copy of course. ;)

Perhaps a reference to the discussion oldskater and I were having (a few pages back now?)

You said:

Originally Posted by hard2miss

My dads bigger than your dad

I don't think we are talking about women here, they tend to be a bit more polite about it, but I doubt the size of someone comes into it if you feel the need to protect your family or property.

I have always been of the belief that no matter how 'hard' you are there is always someone 'harder', so its inevitable that a kicking is what you are going to come up against at some stage, no matter who you are.

Its a matter of principle for me, I would sooner have a kicking for protecting the kids than taking pictures of them.

So, I'm a photographer. Say I take a photo of your kids. You say its inevitable that a kicking is what you are going to come up against at some stage. Does that mean you'd give me a kicking for taking a photo of your kids? That was the point of the original discussion between me and oldskater.

Its easy to clarify, just read it.

I say:

Now who do you think I am talking about ?

I have said that we are not talking about women... then go on to say that I am of the belief that no matter how hard you are there is always someone harder...

I think its self evident what I am saying but you tell me what your insinuation was.

Ang on a minute, now your taking things out of context to say something that did not get said.

You did not say your taking pictures of my kids then I said that at all, I said 'we are not talking about women. Then go onto say that I am of the opinion...

Meaning what I say, that I believe that there's always someone bigger and can expect a kicking one day, something I am more than happy to put up with if it means that I stand up for my principles. I have said many times before and after you insinuation that I don't mind having the law on me or getting 'beat up' for my behaviour, its all there for everyone to read, so you can leave your apology and we shall speak no more of it. thanks.