What's happened to Wincobank?

What has happened to Wincobank?

Having lived in this area all of my 48 years I have seen what was a friendly close community slowly disappear and lose its identity. Some of the older generation still refer to it as the "Village".

Wincobank was a great little community with its own working mens club, community centre etc. where people really knew each other.

The only investment seems to have been the car lot where the Dallas Bar, formally the Engineers Arms was.

In the seventies most of the local kids would go to the 61st Scouts where Don Taylor, Ron Goacher, Mick Pears and Derrick Bonnington would organise loads of great activities in the scout yard on Standon Road.

In my early twenties loads of us would meet in the Wincobank Hotel most nights to play in the darts or pool league, organise the fishing weekend away, play cards or just generally get a bit drunk with no trouble.

Before the drinking times were changed we would leg it under the bridge to the Railway in Rotherham to get an extra hour on Friday or Saturday nights.

like every community in britain....there is no communities anymore.

thatcher got rid of those in the 80s...and it followed into the early 90s and beyond.

my uncle used to live up wincobank...near that water thing with the big fence round (bit vague lol) im thinking back to when i used to visit as a kid at christmass etc and we'd chuck stones in

like every community in britain....there is no communities anymore.

thatcher got rid of those in the 80s...and it followed into the early 90s and beyond.

my uncle used to live up wincobank...near that water thing with the big fence round (bit vague lol) im thinking back to when i used to visit as a kid at christmass etc and we'd chuck stones in

I lived for 14yrs in one of the new houses about 50yds away from the 'rezzi' you refer to, during the 70/80's. It was always known as Wincobank to me. Crikey I'm not your uncle am I?:D

What has happened to Wincobank?

Having lived in this area all of my 48 years I have seen what was a friendly close community slowly disappear and lose its identity. Some of the older generation still refer to it as the "Village".

Wincobank was a great little community with its own working mens club, community centre etc. where people really knew each other.

The only investment seems to have been the car lot where the Dallas Bar, formally the Engineers Arms was.

In the seventies most of the local kids would go to the 61st Scouts where Don Taylor, Ron Goacher, Mick Pears and Derrick Bonnington would organise loads of great activities in the scout yard on Standon Road.

In my early twenties loads of us would meet in the Wincobank Hotel most nights to play in the darts or pool league, organise the fishing weekend away, play cards or just generally get a bit drunk with no trouble.

Before the drinking times were changed we would leg it under the bridge to the Railway in Rotherham to get an extra hour on Friday or Saturday nights.

i played darts for the hotel in the 50s with the kelly brothers george a billy not forgeting

jim i knew 1 or 2 round that area in them days lived at firth park at that time

i went with a girl in

about 1946 lived opposite the school paulene darby her dad worked at a lees

I was born on Fife Street and lived there until the early 80's when I got married. My Parents and In laws still live there.

I think it went down hill when they built on Maycocks fields and the 'tip' in front of the houses on Fife Street. I don't go back very often but when I do I find the experience very intimidating, especially at the bottom of Fife Street/Standon Road. It has definately lost the village feel that it had. It all seems very run down.

Used to play cards,darts and pinball in Winco hotel in 70s,remember landlord ToMorton(big owls fan),think Winco went downhill as the above says they built the houses on Jedburgh,parents still live on Standon but when I visit and drive on Jedburgh it dosn't look the kind of st I'd walk on at night.