Wes Mason the Cyclist

Hi Albert

I would think that Wes if he is still alive, would be 65 +

The last I heard of him was that he had opened a cycle shop somewhere York or Harrogate.

He had a pal, Barry Pashley who worked for Henry Holmes in the shop on London Road. Wes won a gold at the Commonwealth Games in Australia in the early 60's

Thank you. cgksheff. that is almost definitely the one and only Wes.

He was one of the best cycle racer that I've ever seen. It sad that he can be apparently, quickly forgotten.

Thank you also Runningman. It would be nice to know what happened to the Gold Medal that he was worthy of winning. It was incredible to realise how fast he was climbing Ringinglow Road. I often dreamed I could ride it as fast!!

I hope someone else can bring up more information.

The last time I saw Wes Mason was at Wentworth back in the late 60's..They used to have a Road Race there every year near the Village( proberbly still runs today) ..Wes won that one I remember.

Looking back that would be a ten mile time trial. In the days before all the car traffic began.

These days it would be night-mare to compete in one with half the car drivers being unable to see more than ten yards!!

I hope someone who knows him comes along to let us know how he is.(or was)!

Wes was racing when the Brits ruled the roost and the Northern riders were top of the game in the Brit tour and other races at the time with Barry Hoben, Sid Barras and many others.

Hoben also went to live in Wales unsure if he had a bike shop there and he married Tom Simpsons widow.

Then the Russians came and hammered them all.

Bah.