Is there a grace period for renewing tax disc?

I've been on the phone to the DVLA but I'm getting fed up with the automated service so I turned to good old SF!

My tax disc runs out in a couple days and my MOT ran out yesterday but I can't afford both this week. I obviously have to have the MOT to get it taxed so that's the priority but was just worried about leaving the untaxed car parked outside the house for a week or so.

So... is there a grace period of a couple weeks from when your car tax runs out to when you renew it again or do I have to declare it SORN immediately?

Why not pay on line its so easy, especially if you have a bank account!

Because I won't have the money for another week or so. This week I've had to pay for the insurance, a £30 fine for apparently going through a bus gate in Hillsborough, the MOT and now the tax disc... :mad:

I think you need to get it off the road, declare SORN and get a MOT certificate for it. I belive that if the MOT check is pre booked, you can drive your car there and back.

As for taxing it, if you buy a disc on March 21st, it will start on March 1st.