View Full Version : How do you get a good result from microwaving a jacket potato?

DIVA
25-01-2008, 15:50
I'd given up on this. I've tried for years and they always turn out either rock hard or wrinkly and chewy! I'd convinced myself it was impossible to cook a good jacket potato in a microwave, so usually put the oven on. Anyhow, went to a cafe in St Austell, in the summer, and had the perfect jacket potato, cooked in a microwave. It was cooked to perfection, and surprised me as I think I enjoyed it as much as an oven baked one. How do they do it? ALL tips welcome.

Tess
25-01-2008, 15:52
I tend to do 8 to 10 minutes in the microwave then put it in the oven for 20 mins or so, saves on cooking time but comes out about the same :)

poppins
25-01-2008, 15:53
They say 9 min in a micro, I turn mine after about 6, also I put it in the oven for a few minutes after to dry out.

Shiesh
25-01-2008, 15:54
Always prick it with a fork a few times too!!

:D

H.P
25-01-2008, 15:54
I tend to do 8 to 10 minutes in the microwave then put it in the oven for 20 mins or so, saves on cooking time but comes out about the same :)

I tend to do mine this way, but only if its a huge tatty. Not too fond of totally microwaved spuds, they just end up like rubber. I like a little crisp to the skin

Mod_Man
25-01-2008, 15:56
I was told to wrap them in kitchen roll. I can't say it makes the perfect jacket spud as I'm not a fan. It was nice though.

boyfriday
25-01-2008, 15:56
Anyhow, went to a cafe in St Austell, in the summer, and had the perfect jacket potato, cooked in a microwave. It was cooked to perfection, and surprised me as I think I enjoyed it as much as an oven baked one. How do they do it? ALL tips welcome.

They probably had a combination microwave which combines microwave with a convection oven :D

DIVA
25-01-2008, 16:01
They probably had a combination microwave which combines microwave with a convection oven :D

I wondered myself, if they'd got a special type of oven, but the skin wasn't crispy at all, or browned.

Thanks for the tips so far.

cgksheff
25-01-2008, 16:02

Same here, but I rub them in oil and salt between microwave and oven.

Baz1
25-01-2008, 16:03
Stab (prick) the bugger a few times and 5-10 mins in an 850w is good enough for me.

H.P
25-01-2008, 16:05

We have one of those, still cant for the life of me get it to do a decent spud they just allways end up like rubber

DIVA
25-01-2008, 16:10
I heard somewhere that you're supposed to let then have standing time. Does anyone know if this helps?

DIVA
25-01-2008, 16:12
Stab (prick) the bugger a few times and 5-10 mins in an 850w is good enough for me.

I've got a 900w and I think perhaps I'm cooking them too long, even though they're hard. Do they go soft and then start to go hard again if you cook then too much?

Baz1
25-01-2008, 16:12
I heard somewhere that you're supposed to let then have standing time. Does anyone know if this helps?

yes it does- like most microwavable products, leaving to stand 2-3 mins usually helps for the heat to set in and rid of any moisture.. i think. I do it and always think my grub tastes better.

weenireeni
25-01-2008, 16:13
I put a cross section in the potato, and press the potato button the right number of times depending how big it is!

DONE!

:)

boyfriday
25-01-2008, 16:13

It may have been the variety of potato? :)

DIVA
25-01-2008, 16:16
It may have been the variety of potato? :)

Yeah, I wondered about that.

DIVA
25-01-2008, 16:17
I put a cross section in the potato, and press the potato button the right number of times depending how big it is!

DONE!

So you do it on auto cook? You see, I just pick a time and press, and not adjust settings or anything, I've never even learnt how to use the autocook on the microwave, do you reckon it's worth taking the time to find out, in the case of potatoes?

beansfeast
25-01-2008, 16:18

Which is exactly what we use, a 900W one that has a setting for baked potatoes, wether it be 1 or 4! Works perfectly too and only takes about 30mins :D So yes, definitely worth learning how to use it properly... :rolleyes: ;)

weenireeni
25-01-2008, 16:43
So you do it on auto cook? You see, I just pick a time and press, and not adjust settings or anything, I've never even learnt how to use the autocook on the microwave, do you reckon it's worth taking the time to find out, in the case of potatoes?

Ours is a normal microwave but has a button for potatoes, and thats for a set size, so if im having a huge jacket i press it 3 times. Works out about 10mins i think.

fyy123
25-01-2008, 16:51
Best get proper baking potatoes rather than just any potatos. Put in Micowave for 8 - 9 mins then put in oven on gas mark 7 for about 10 -15 mins to make skin nice and crispy.

JarvisCocker
25-01-2008, 17:33
A tip to stop them going hard on the bottom when you cook them in the microwave is to put the in a bowl, not direct onto the microwave plate. Helps a bit, but still prefer mine started in the microwave and finished off in the oven to crisp up the skin.

DIVA
25-01-2008, 19:38
Thanks to everyone for such good advice. It's much appreciated. I'll let you know how I get on!

Ghozer
25-01-2008, 21:07
Stick a fork in it, 8-10 minutes (850 watt), turn it over, stick a fork in the other side check how soft it is, then depending on that result give it another 3-5 minutes, take it out, check how soft again, leave to stand for 2 minutes, cut and eat ;)

Deebles
25-01-2008, 23:30
A tip to stop them going hard on the bottom when you cook them in the microwave is to put the in a bowl, not direct onto the microwave plate. Helps a bit, but still prefer mine started in the microwave and finished off in the oven to crisp up the skin.

Don't forget to turn them over half way through cooking as well, this stops them being hard on the bottom as they cook more evenly.

wisegal
26-01-2008, 11:26
stick em under grill after to get crispy skins

shihtzumad
26-01-2008, 11:43
I start mine of if the microwave oven then put then in the oven to crisp up.

What is your favorite jacket potatoes filling,. mine is chicken and mayo

wisegal
26-01-2008, 11:57
I start mine of if the microwave oven then put then in the oven to crisp up.

What is your favorite jacket potatoes filling,. mine is chicken and mayo

find it a bit quicker under grill.then i can put cheese on and they end up like potato skins.
tuna and mayo hmmm