Ice Cream Vans

I'm talking 1960s here.

Something I could never understand was the "Walls" policy of selling Iced-Cream in rectangular chunks, and having cones with an oblong container section, but they were each of different sizes, so that when you put the iced-cream in the cone, it wobbled like fury.

It wasn't just a small amount of "play" in the dimensions, it was a totally diferent size and shape.

Perhaps it was designed by the same idiot who decided to put a hotel next to the Peace Gardens?

i remember taggys ice cream they were based at heeley also sanellas they parked up at endcliffe park (my ex used to work for them)and weston park

Originally posted by lint

i remember taggys ice cream they were based at heeley also sanellas they parked up at endcliffe park (my ex used to work for them)and weston park

Just found this thread. My grandparents used to live in Darnall - we used to always het either Manfredi's or Hill Top Dairies (?)

I remember that one being a favourite.. just in time for the wrestling on 'World of Sport'!!!

Glory days.

'Aggie' used to come around Foxhill in the late 1940's/50's. Used to run outsoide wi mi dads pint mug, gorrit filled fer a tanner!! Mam used to buy a Walls 'brick' for Sunday tea. Still remember the Walls van's chimes.

in the early nineties mr softy used to come round Intake,

I loved it because he played the A-Team theme tune...

specials were the best, ice-cream with an ice lolly in the top

My Auntie used to own an ice-cream van (lucky me) free cornets on a sunday afternnon and realy proper flakes yes the realy ones not those cheaper ones that you sometimes get.

My favourite though was the screwballs the ones where you found a bubble in the bottom that tasted lovely? I used to get 2 in my screwball ice-cream.

Originally posted by tara

I worked at Hulleys in the 70s packing tubs, screwballs and using the piping machine . the icecream came out continuously so if you got behind filling the empty tub you were in trouble.

the fruit in the icecream came in tins.

We had to wear little white wellies and a hair net -even the men lol.

My old school chum's dad was an icecream man -(manfredis)

in the shiregreen area.-60s 70s.

He lived on molineaux road.

Anyone remember him ,mr turner was his name forgotten his first name could have been fred.

Her name was Gillian, sadly she passed away a few years ago.

was hulleys on barnsley road ??

i rember my mum and aunt workin in a ice cream place that was on bottom of barnsley road just befor the high greve pub,

if it was not this one does anyone rember the name of it.

Originally posted by tara

I worked at Hulleys in the 70s packing tubs, screwballs and using the piping machine . the icecream came out continuously so if you got behind filling the empty tub you were in trouble.

the fruit in the icecream came in tins.

We had to wear little white wellies and a hair net -even the men lol.

My old school chum's dad was an icecream man -(manfredis)

in the shiregreen area.-60s 70s.

He lived on molineaux road.

Anyone remember him ,mr turner was his name forgotten his first name could have been fred.

Her name was Gillian, sadly she passed away a few years ago.

i use to live on the flower estate in the 70's & i can recall an ice cream van called (yankee boy) does anybody else remember it?

Midland Counties Ices,used to be on Burnaby Street.All the ices were wrapped,and came from Birmingham.

Truffellis from Owlerton,there's was nice ice cream.:thumbsup:

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER A ICE CREAM MAN CALLED

JOE LUMBY, HIS VAN WAS A LITTLE THREE WHEELER.

HE DELIVERED ROUND THE PARSON CROSS AREA IN

THE LATE 40s AND EARLY 50s.

Guest poppins

Irene

I can only remember Hully's and Walls ice creams, but there was always one outside Western Park gates, one one each end, always had my cone with a choc flake on top.

what about one called pino's, a little italian man in a little fiat van used to come around the delves avenue/ hackenthorpe area in the early eighties.