Ice Cream Vans

Pilon

OK - This is quite a wide topic. What Ice-Cream Vans do you remember, from what era, and what did they sell?

Personnally, as a relative young 'un (which, in the scheme of things, is comparitively boring) I remember, around Chapeltown, Mr. Ronksley (purple/pink/blue van), Mr. Whippy (blue and white) and, oh dear, a pink and white van... the name escapes me...

Can anybody help out?

I can recall one van with the name Angelo written on it. This stuck in my head as the Brotherhood of Man had a record in the charts by the same name at this time! (Infact, one sad person, whose name shall remain private actually owned said record.)

I too remember Mr Whippy but that's about it. However, the sound of the ice cream van's bells reminds me of summers long gone, a Saturday or Sunday evening at my grandparents' house on School Road, Crookes with the back door open, Black Beauty theme tune eminating from the lounge and me aged about 7 years old with not a care in the world. (However, I did have half my gob ripped out courtesy of the dental practice just up yonder!)

Favourite lollies? I always liked the white Haunted House one with a ghost drawn in green which disappeared as you licked at it and I was always fond of the cider flavoured lollipops which I believe you can still get. Also, Funny Faces? And even Funny Feet. Or am I getting confuddled?

I remember going to Hulley's factory in the late 40s.

I think it was a Sunday outing when I visited my grandparents at Shiregreen.

The ice cream man who come round Parson Cross in the late 40's early 50,s had a very ornate van.I think it was Luigi's[sp].

We would clammer around when he made his stop near our house ,even though we had no money.A lucky kid would get a free wafer.

As an aside .Pre WW 2 most of the ice cream venders came from Italian Stock.I had a G,G,grandmother who was born in Italy.

One of my uncles had very Italian features and he used to work on the ice cream carts before I was born [1939] So My mother told me

Ther was a family in the city center "Granelli" (excuse the spelling) had icecream vans also had a shop many years ago up from rag n tag market I think the road was where the ponds forge roundabout is now also there was a family up city road "manfredis" had vans with thier names on

Does anyone remember the walls vans that were left hand drive old Ford Anglias they were made that way so the driver got out on the right side of the pavment, well thats what one guy told me then'

My dad used to own an icecream van about 10 years ago.

Pink and Cream Dulux Paint. Freds Ice's it was called.

Parked near Ecclesall Junior School and sometimes High Storrs School.

It was always a race to get there before the Sanellis van!

Originally posted by GJ2004

Ther was a family in the city center "Granelli" (excuse the spelling) had icecream vans also had a shop many years ago up from rag n tag market I think the road was where the ponds forge roundabout is now also there was a family up city road "manfredis" had vans with thier names on

Does anyone remember the walls vans that were left hand drive old Ford Anglias they were made that way so the driver got out on the right side of the pavment, well thats what one gut told me then'

Still There. They have a sweetshop aswell. They keep all the vans in the yard behind the building. I would bet that the place hasn't changed for years!