Much of S. Yorks 'Unviable'

Originally posted by fhain29

City regions and development through investing in "core cities" is all the rage, but may make sense.

Yes, 'core cities' seem to be the latest thing in English planning / regeneration circles. There are 8 English Core cities, including Leeds, Nottingham (after begging to join the group as the late-commer) and SHEFFIELD.

IMHO this Yorks and Humber Assembly regional spatial planning document, almost fails to observe this.

If you look at the many official documents produced by the core cities group, like for example each core cities' 'prospectus' published for the benefit of the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, the Sheffield City Region (1.6M population) is defined as including Barnsley Metropolitan Borough as well as all the rest of South Yorkshire and a few local authorities in Northen Derbyshire and Northern Notts. Logical, because Sheffield sits in the middle of these areas.

So with this in mind, why have the Yorks and Humber assembly put Barnsley in the Greater Leeds area and why have they not included a Greater Sheffield area anywhere?

Originally posted by fhain29

- Geography: Even before "regions" were made official there was the North and the Midlands. Ever since the battle of Dore Sheffield has been a border town. Cities at the centre of regions do better, like Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester.

I agree that city regions are the way forward for our large core cities. It's ludicrous that historical arbitrary local authority boundaries make it so difficult to plan strategically across a city's true catchment area or to levy council tax over neighbouring authorities whose people use the citiy's facilities.

But if the concensus is to start thinking of the potential economic drivers of England outside London as being core cities and their city-regions, then surely Sheffield (like the other 7 core cities) should be put at the centre of a region, irrespective of historical regional boundaries.

Dore marked the junction between the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms of Mercia (to the south) and Northumbria (to the North), but that was donkey's years ago. Yorkshire has been around for a thousand years, but many parts of the current City of Sheffield used to be in Derbyshire - Derbyshire County Cricket Club even used to play some of their home games at the Abbeydale ground decades ago. How many people in Sheffield, spend their entire weekend in the Derbyshire part of the Peak District? - loads of them.

So whatever historical Yorks / E. Mids boundary might have run just south of Sheffield is meaningless compared to the importance of establishing a Sheffield City Region covering all S.Yorks and the Extreme N. Mids, so that Sheffield can plan and develop strtegically to benefit all who live in the entire region. Just like Leeds is to be allowed to further North.

You are absolutely right fhain29 to say that cities at the centre of regions do better than those on the edge - that's precisely my point.

Don't forget the proposal for a high speed rail link that goes through Sheffield.

http://www.central-railway.co.uk/

But that got snubbed by the Government.

I think there are a lot of people (with money) who see Sheffield as a good place (to make more money). But for some reason central and regional government and quangos see this diffrently.

Add to this the councils traditional lack of ambition and general business nous. For example, Sheffield Airport being too small, a Tram system thats not big enough, and a Winter Garden thats really a patio.

And Sheffield does have a public profile problem. In that it doesn't have one. From not appearing on Look North (Leeds), Harrogate appers more often, to not appearing on the Weather map after the news.

Originally posted by chill

What is that information based on? I ask because that is a claim that I've not heard before.

Yeah I'm confused too. What happened to Sheffield having the highest 'staying on and living' rate after university?

And seeing as we have such large areas of affluence - those people must be well-qualified.

Originally posted by noseyrosie

And seeing as we have such large areas of affluence - those people must be well-qualified.

Yes - Sheffield Hallam constituency has the highest percentage of adults educated to degree level over any other constituency in the country.

Originally posted by noseyrosie

Originally posted by t020

Yes - Sheffield Hallam constituency has the highest percentage of adults educated to degree level over any other constituency in the country.

But!

Do they work in Sheffield? Or Leeds?

What I've heard, from a former work colleague who lives in that area, is that there are many who choose to live in the former and work in the latter, getting the double benefit of lower house prices and higher salaries.

For Channel 6 news, this is Kent Brockman...reporting...

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by NewcastleOwl

Yes, 'core cities' seem to be the latest thing in English planning / regeneration circles. There are 8 English Core cities, including Leeds, Nottingham (after begging to join the group as the late-commer) and SHEFFIELD.

IMHO this Yorks and Humber Assembly regional spatial planning document, almost fails to observe this.

If you look at the many official documents produced by the core cities group, like for example each core cities' 'prospectus' published for the benefit of the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, the Sheffield City Region (1.6M population) is defined as including Barnsley Metropolitan Borough as well as all the rest of South Yorkshire and a few local authorities in Northen Derbyshire and Northern Notts. Logical, because Sheffield sits in the middle of these areas.

So with this in mind, why have the Yorks and Humber assembly put Barnsley in the Greater Leeds area and why have they not included a Greater Sheffield area anywhere?

I agree that city regions are the way forward for our large core cities. It's ludicrous that historical arbitrary local authority boundaries make it so difficult to plan strategically across a city's true catchment area or to levy council tax over neighbouring authorities whose people use the citiy's facilities.

But if the concensus is to start thinking of the potential economic drivers of England outside London as being core cities and their city-regions, then surely Sheffield (like the other 7 core cities) should be put at the centre of a region, irrespective of historical regional boundaries.

So whatever historical Yorks / E. Mids boundary might have run just south of Sheffield is meaningless compared to the importance of establishing a Sheffield City Region covering all S.Yorks and the Extreme N. Mids, so that Sheffield can plan and develop strtegically to benefit all who live in the entire region.

Just like Leeds is to be allowed to further North.

You are absolutely right fhain29 to say that cities at the centre of regions do better than those on the edge - that's precisely my point.

Couldnt agree more with your comments, Sheffield should be given its own redefined Greater Sheffield city area.

I wonder what the Sheffield City Council seriously think of this?

I have always been annoyed about the arrogance of Leeds and it's people toward Sheffiled. I used to visit lots of customers up there and most believed that Sheff is a blackened industrial eyesore. And if they had last visited in the 70s that's what they would have found as they passed through the satanic mills of tinsley and meadowhall.

I fear that this general Leeds attitude is the fault of sheffield though, for being happy to sit back and be England's "biggest village". Leeds and its people are just more pushy and ultimately a little more successful.

Despite what the report says and the planners try. If the sheffield universities continue to grow, then it's inevitable that the general population will too. As one who was born, raised, went to university in sheff. More than half of my friends are from elswhere, and have made their home here

Originally posted by NewcastleOwl

Y

So whatever historical Yorks / E. Mids boundary might have run just south of Sheffield is meaningless compared to the importance of establishing a Sheffield City Region covering all S.Yorks and the Extreme N. Mids, so that Sheffield can plan and develop strtegically to benefit all who live in the entire region. Just like Leeds is to be allowed to further North.

I would say Sheffield is on the edge of the North Midlands and that the "north" begins from North Yorskhire upwards - it seems that as you are on the edge of SY/Derbs/Notts - that you get forgotten a bit.

Originally posted by noseyrosie:

Quote:

Originally posted by t020:

Quote:

Originally posted by Abdul:

But!

Do they work in Sheffield? Or Leeds?

[/Quote]

Surely, there are more opportunities in Leeds - hence why they will go there, whereas Sheffield is nicer to live in - so they get the best of both worlds.

Alex

Archived