Address scam going on in Sheffield area.

What's worrying is the fact that the post man was happy to let someone lurking around have the parcell. Thanks for the warning

Hi

I am overwhelmed at how widely distributed the email has become and only since Tuesday 10/07/07 when the incident happened. I had a phone call at work from the head of security at Sheffield Teaching hospitals to check out the source and he said the email was going out to 13000 people! I have also had a phone call from The Sheffield Star. I never hid my identity because I was only sending it out to friends and it feels a bit odd that so many people now have it.

Jo

Yep, we got it! They could do it at my address whenever they like - there's never anyone in during the day to notice... Bit worrying!

I think it's hard to blame the postie, because the guy approached him, said his name and showed his I.D. practically before he had got out the van. The guy looked so smart, casual and relaxed draped on my front gate that, if I hadn't known better, I would have thought he lived here. Convincing and determined, like most con-men I suppose.

With any luck the police will track them down

Hi

To set the record straight, I just wanted to confirm that the email you received about the address scam is genuine. It is logged with the police who are looking into it. The reason I sent the email to was to ensure it didn't happen to anyone else. At the time when the parcel was being delivered, I just thought it was odd that someone was trying to sign for mail addressed to my house and I was shocked when I spoke to the sorting office and realised we had had a lucky escape. You never think that things like this would actually happen.

I am overwhelmed at how widely distributed the email has become and only since Tuesday 10/07/07 when the incident happened. I had a phone call at work from the head of security at Sheffield Teaching hospitals to check out the source and he said the email was going out to 13000 people! I have also had a phone call from The Sheffield Star. I never hid my identity because I was only sending it out to friends and it feels a bit odd that so many people now have it.

Jo

Thanks Jo, I left your name off the email originally as it was nobodies business who it had happened to, just that it had happened.

I got it from my OH, one of your colleages and I don't think he had any reason to believe it was going out so widespread either, he offered it up so I could warn the good people of SF, well if the response I got was any indication of the good people then in future I just won't be bothering.

At least now its proved I'm not A hoaxer or stupid enough to fall for a hoax and I do believe one of you apparentley recieved the same email weeks before it was written......well they say wonders will never cease.

I have had a problem with this. I only moved into my house a year ago and know the names of the people who lived here. A few months ago I started getting mobile phone bills for a name I did not know so kept returning them marked "not known at this address". One thing led to another and then I got a letter addressed to the householder which I opened. It was requesting information in relation to a mobile phone that was delivered to my address and asked me to contact them. I called the company and asked when the phone was delivered. They told me and when I checked I discovered that I was in London on that date. So I said I was not even in Sheffield on the date in question. They were then implying I had ordered the phone using a false name. I then asked them if they would believe approximately 30 people telling them that I was not in Sheffield at the time of delivery they said if I could prove I was not there they would be satisfied but they would want to know who was there. So I told them my au pair was in the Czech Republic visiting his family, my son was on holiday with his grandparents, uncle, aunt and cousins and I told them where I worked and who they could check with; they backed down completely. Thanks to the fact I work in London for a big bank and was able to obtain proof that the other occupants could not have have taken delivery of the phone my bacon was saved. But what if I was travelling or working on my own and had no witnesses? Well then I guess it would be down to handwriting checks etc. Either way this is an intrusion into my life I could do without.

Strange thing is that they were adamant that the phone was delivered to someone in the house and signed for. So I am wondering ... was the delivery man lying, the mobile phone company lying or have I had burglars who managed to put the house in order after they left???

Can someone explain the danger of just having a mobile phone delivered to your house? Anyone could have something sent to any address. If they haven't used your card details then no money can be taken from you. I would make them prove it was me, from ip details if it was done online or a description of "me" if it was done instore.

Thanks for the original heads up though, I'm in noway complaining about that, it'll be something I keep in mind when I move. It'll be useful for me to get to know the other tennants of my building (there's only 5 flats) so I can recognise any strangers hanging about.

Can someone explain the danger of just having a mobile phone delivered to your house? Anyone could have something sent to any address. If they haven't used your card details then no money can be taken from you. I would make them prove it was me, from ip details if it was done online or a description of "me" if it was done instore.

Thanks for the original heads up though, I'm in noway complaining about that, it'll be something I keep in mind when I move. It'll be useful for me to get to know the other tennants of my building (there's only 5 flats) so I can recognise any strangers hanging about.

If you can't prove that you didn't order it in a different name you can be taken to court for fraud and the money owing on the bill.

But what about payment at the time of ordering, unless they also used one of your cards then that proves it doesn't it?

The postman should not be allowing anyone to sign for items in the street, ok if he knows them and he as delivered to them before then yes thats ok but otherwise a definate totaly no way . Its lesson two in how to be a postman

If you can't prove that you didn't order it in a different name you can be taken to court for fraud and the money owing on the bill.

In most English law, the principle of 'Innocent until proven guilty' still applies, so it is for the company to prove you did, not you to prove you didn't.

Fraud is a criminal issue, the proof would have to be 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

If the company sued for money involved, then the proof would only need to be 'balance of probabilities' but the onus is still on the company to provide the proof.

But still a worry I understand.

In most English law, the principle of 'Innocent until proven guilty' still applies, so it is for the company to prove you did, not you to prove you didn't.

Fraud is a criminal issue, the proof would have to be 'beyond reasonable doubt'.

If the company sued for money involved, then the proof would only need to be 'balance of probabilities' but the onus is still on the company to provide the proof.

But still a worry I understand.

If you've never had debt problems then you wont know but it's less the worry of them succeeding than the constant harrasment by debt collectors who view you as a target on a worksheet and not a human being. The whole process is soul destroying and can go on for months untill its resolved. You are made to feel like a criminal and it takes over your whole life.