Sign in to follow this  

Asda home delivery - pointless?

I made an order from Asda for delivery this friday.

We knew we were going to run out of certain things, and since my other half was working from home for the day it seemed to make sense to save us an hour in the evening...

Well, i'd contend that this service is completely useless, at least in this instance, as Asda have managed not just once, but twice to not deliver in the time frame booked...

Originally the slot was 11 - 13, there was someone in throughout this period, although she was upstairs in the study (but would hear the doorbell).

At 13:30 she phoned to see where the delivery was and the system was indicating that they'd tried to deliver and no-one was home. So they rescheduled for 18 - 19...

I've sat here surfing the net from about 17:30 until now, have phoned them 3 times and still have no food.

So, rather than saving an hour, this is now wasting my time. I could have gone to the supermarket twice in this time.

I'm currently waiting for them to phone back to explain why they haven't delivered, and I will cancel the order and go down to Morrisons.

Frankly a service like this is only of any use if (excuse the pun) it delivers.

So, if anyone else were thinking about using the asda home delivery service, i'd recommend against it.

Icant get asda delivery as they dont do my area.

But i sometimes have tesco and they've always been ok.

The only home delivery I've had was Tesco's in Leeds a couple of years ago (I did actually live in Leeds at the time!).

I had no problems with the time, it was the fresh stuff - they always gave you the stuff that they can't sell in the store i.e things like mixed salad and bread that only has a day left, and other things.

If you could specify sell by dates or something it would be really worthwhile!

We used Asda's online shop a few weeks ago for the first time and they delivered on time and brought everything we had ordered. I wouldn't use it regularly though as its cheaper to go to Morrissons.

well, the last update I had tonight, was a call I made at 19:30, they said that the van had left at 18 (this is for a 1 hour slot), and that we were 3rd on the delivery list.

At 8 we gave up and went to morrisons. As we came back we saw an Asda van drive down our road and sale merrily straight past our house... So maybe it depends on whether the driver can be arsed to stop. Or maybe house numbers over 100 are too high for him.

I reckon all supermarkets will encounter problems with a service of this kind. It's an operation where many things can go wrong, like vans breaking down for instance.

The problem with this is that it could be a mother with a baby waiting urgently for supplies such as Nappies/Baby Food and if they are on a late night slot then they might not get their items at all that until the next day.

every time i phoned them though, rather than saying "sorry, there's been a problem" they said, it should be there anytime soon. In fact only the person i spoke to on the 3rd attempt actually appologised.

And the fact that they recorded an attempted delivery earlier when we know for a fact that there was someone here all day... lazy driver who wanted to get back for his lunch break? couldn't find the house and didn't want to admit it? there has to be some reason for what is a blatant lie.

I've had lots of problems with Asda delivery service in the past in fact I nearly ended up without a turkey last Christmas because they didn't deliver it despite the fact that I had ordered it on the 9th of December and the last order date was the 15th - they were supposed to keep the ordered ones back - that's a laugh. I was furious - but then who wouldn't be the one thing they didn't even bring at all was the turkey - I've ordered from a butcher in Firth Park this year.

Having said this though - the delivery service has improved round here - not before time I might add. The trouble is we like some of their produce.

You do have a point about the drivers though - even recently I've had orders placed for delivery between 7 and 9 at night and the driver has phoned as 2 in the afternoon to see if he could deliver it. I mean what is the point in selecting a time if they can't keep to it.

in defence of the driver - if you were delivering on the same road at 2pm wouldn't you try to deliver to other addresses in the same area if possible (he did ring to check first) at the same time.

Surely thats just common sense?

I ordered home delivery from Tesco once, and they totally messed up the order and delivered it late. The problem with this once I really needed the stuff they didn't bring (dinner ingredients, jamrags for our lass etc).

It just seems quicker and easier to get off one's arse and fetch it myself.

Sainsbury's gives a £10 voucher if they're late! You could try pushing for that.

I've shopped online a number of times, just because there are so many good vouchers for it around. And it sure beats walking home with them, I think my arms get a little longer every time.