The Myers Grove - Wisewood schools merge debate

should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. should wisewood/myers merger go ahead?

• No- Don't merge the schools
    • Yes- Merge the schools
    • No- Keep both schools open, spend the money improving both schools

If you really don't mind, I'll pass on your suggestion of asking about this idea. I did notice that you suggested loopylulu email Harry Harpham though. (insert: smillie.)

NB. For some reason the Forum Technophobe has managed to disable adding smillies!!!!!).

I will still email Harry Harpham and see what he says - he will probably dismiss it straight away as that is what he seems to do with all ideas thrown at him - but I can but try.

............ wisewood is doing very well and is full till 2009 as now stated! and is 6th best school in sheffield! ............ :

I keep seeing this quoted But when I looked on the league tables. Wisewood is 11th/12th. Am I looking in the wrong place?

this is where that north Stannington lot need to come down from there Ivory Towers and back the rest of the community.

So true.

Not matter what people say this consultation should have included all schools in the area including Bradfield - now the school is going ahead people will be doing everything in their power to ensure kids go to Bradfield. What I object to is duel catchment areas why so parents can goose the best performing schools that is not fare on people in the areas not effected like Loxley, Oughitbridge etc.

Its good to see new people coming into the debate. I thought your post was very well balanced. I agree with your comments here. As an active campaigner for a change in catchments I must say I hadnt considered that dual catchment may disadvantage other areas such as Loxley or Oughtibridge. I think that Oughtibridge is a little too far away from Myers to ask for dual catchment though....my theory is that if some areas were under dual catchment then this would mean the school did everything in its powers to maintain itself to ensure people opted for it.

Rant over my concerns with the school is travel and they state of traffic in the Malin Bridge Hillsborough area, all talk about people who used to walk this route look in the paper watch TV sorry time change it isn’t safe to be asking young kids to walk all that way in winter as for how would you perform at work sat in wet cloths after walking in the rain?

The more we say this the more someone may listen eventually. I think it was Skippy06 on this forum asked how many adults walk to work if this is 40 mins plus, especially if the weather is rubbish!!!! Why are we trying to push kids into walking so far. Im all for kids keeping fit but there are ways and means. I think its unreaonable to ask children to work 6 hrs a day and add another 1.5-2 hrs on top to get there and back.

Transport should be put on (not funded - I think the Bradfield coaches should also be chargeable to Stannington as it’s not the closest school) even if it is only a normal buss direct from Wisewood to Stannington at start and finish times.

It costs Sheffield tax payers £239k per annum to fund the buses to Bradfield. This is purely down to the fact that this was put in place 25 plus yrs ago when the routes were more difficult, areas were more rural or semi-rural, transport links were sporadic, ownership of private cars were less etc. In today's world there are good transport links. As a council/parent/tax payer you cannot possible endorse bussing children from Stannington to Bradfield while at the same time telling people on WPV/North Marcliffe that they should walk or use public transport!!!! I honestly do not see the logic in this so perhaps someone can enlighten me.

I keep seeing this quoted But when I looked on the league tables. Wisewood is 11th/12th. Am I looking in the wrong place?

And Myers is 17th. So it doesn't appear that there is much between them.

And Myers is 17th. So it doesn't appear that there is much between them.

But still Wisewood is the better of the two!!

But still Wisewood is the better of the two!!

True. But do you know where the 6th or 7th came from?

True. But do you know where the 6th or 7th came from?

No I dont sorry!

its very rare that i come up with ideas but ive just come up with a brill one:idea:

Instead of closing Wisewood School to help Myers, which has the most falling pupil rolls, why not extend Bradfield, close Myers, and then Myers pupils can get on the buses to Bradfield, on there way to Bradfield some can get off at Wisewood to fill the empty places there (when there is an empty place) and the rest can go to King Edwards!!!

How good is that:):) Is that an idea or is that an idea????

I still think this is a brill idea! What do others think?

I have emailed all Labour councillors drawing to their attention that I am aware of offers to remain involved in the process.

Cllr Jan Wilson has responded with some ideas about taking the process forward, and currently there is an ongoing discussion taking place to firm up some proposals - which will hopefully involve local residents.

I anticipate that in due course an announcement will be made.

I understand an announcement will be made this week.

I understand an announcement will be made this week.

is that the local residents at the 'myers site'?

is that the local residents at the 'myers site'?

Why should it be loopylulu? The new school is being built for all local pupils, and so the announcerment will therefore be for the benefit of all residents in the area.

Why should it be loopylulu? The new school is being built for all local pupils, and so the announcerment will therefore be for the benefit of all residents in the area.

Well then it will just be for the 'Myers lot' then because the wisewood lot arent in the local area of the new school!