Heeley Memories

around 73 and onwards

Originally posted by lint

around 73 and onwards

i dont think i would know you as i lived at heeley quite a few years earlier than 1973 ..

Hi Tinker how earlier are you talking about.

Originally posted by tosh13

Hi Tinker how earlier are you talking about.

hiya tosh , i was born and lived in heeley in the 1950s , as i told you before i knew your john and malcolm well i also remember your mum and dad i remember your john and malc going with me and my brother on the club seaside trip i think it was the queens road club one to skeggy round about 1960 , and i used to work with your john at ducketts ink and powder paint makers on broadfield road in 1966 we both started work there on the same day, can you remember your john when he worked there coming home from work covered in red , blue or whatever colour we had been making ? , i think you was in king edwards hospital at that time he told me he was going straight from work to visit king edwards on is lambretta li 150 scooter with the union jack saddle .

Yeah sorry tinker ,my brain is going,yes I remember him coming home covered in paint & that Lambretta seat always stuck in my mind because at the time it looked cool & I was in the hospital at the time I recall telling you last time,but I am going senile LOL.John would have been 58 on the 25th July & I cannot think what he would be like now,probably the same jack the lad as always.Nice to talk again T

Hi Mick,I tried to email you privately but the boards won't allow it ,you stated in one of your other posts that you have a greatbatch tree is there a way you could email it to me?

My greatbatches were from stoke.

Originally posted by chumpy

What I do have is a Greatbatch family tree compiled by a very keen lady in Stoke ( which seems to be the origin of Greatbatches ). I could make you a copy if you're interested?

regards Mick.

When I was young my cousins lived near Heeley.

We used to go down Heeley Green to a childrens club upstairs in the co-op building and be read stories to and played games.

Think we had a rainbow badge. Any one else go or remember it.

hazel

Originally posted by hazel

When I was young my cousins lived near Heeley.

We used to go down Heeley Green to a childrens club upstairs in the co-op building and be read stories to and played games.

Think we had a rainbow badge. Any one else go or remember it.

hazel

i think iknow where you mean i think it was over the top of the co op on gleadless road across road from what we used to call the old mans shelter ( a shelter that used to have benches in that blokes would sit in to have a chat ), i think i used to see a notice up in the window saying whist drives held at such a time because i used to wonder what they were it was just round the corner from the top of carfield road . this was in the 1960s they also used to have jumble sales there as well .

I would be about 9/10yrs old rr younger so it would be just after the war. Afterwards when I was older, I wondered whether it was a sort of cluub for the unions as the stories were tales of hardship. Child chimney sweeps which I thiink is Kiingsley's "Water Babies." perhaps I was wrong. prob never know now.

hael

Hi Greatbatch.

I can't E.mail the family tree, it's pretty hefty, full of Stoke Greatbatches actually.

P.M. me your address and I'll copy it and post it to you.

regards Mick.

Hi, unable to help with the names as you all seem pre 1960 but remember many of the surnames and lived at the side of Ann and kathleen Adams as my dad took over the greengrocers at 206 Gleadless Road. The Adams lived behind the Barbers then there was a sweet shop and a post office. My Friends the Beck family lived down from us behind the hairdressers.

I went to anns Road and some of my cousins were called Siddall and lived further down. My dad was called Alex hall and he always drank in the waggon and Horses and sometimes in the round house that i knew was the Victoria and thought it got it's nick name from the shape of the front. He was also a member of the Heeley working mens club and seem to recall that Ray Beck and his brother had something to do with the committee.

If any of you remember us Halls let me know. I was the oldest with two brothers and three sisiters and my mus was called Jean.

She worked for a while at the Stanley tool firm and later at a bakers near heeley bottom. And yes someone was right, taggy's ice cram was the best.

I'm hoping someone will remember the Garbutt family who lived on Little London Road probably in the 40's & 50's.

John and May Garbutt had a couple of boys (don't know their names) and it would be really nice to be able to contact them for help with my family tree. May Garbutt was my grandmother's sister and I know nothing else about their family before they married and moved here from London/Kent area.

Hoping someone can help with this.

Sandy