Heeley Memories

hi applegrim.

thesaying ,eyes in the back of his head had to be about him. lol. he had the total respect of our class for the 2 years he was our form teacher. very rare for any to step outof line. he used to tell us he was the worlds biggest dwarf, and shortest giant. !!! and for no apparent reason would would send a couple of our class to "go to the sweet shop" then share em out. ...

Hi Tosh, I remember Mr Golding, a huge man who wore a sandy coloured tweed suit, he could be writing on the blackboard, and if anyone spoke he would pick up the blackboard rubber, still carry on writing, but he could hit his target without turning round.

I do recall the suit as well,he was a nice old guy ,but he could be nasty when he wanted to be,he did not like talking in class & the chalk used to fly all over the place.In one class room I remember a big map in the left hand corner of the class,in the big playground I fell down a little drain & twisted my ankle & I remember a kid falling on the spikes at the bottom gate while climbing over it.Does anyone remember a lad called Steven Worm ,he was a runner very tall for his age.

Davided, you mentioned Rushdale Road, did you know Barry Glynn or Veronica

Marsden? did you know Christine Baine on Carfield Avenue or Christine Drew on Valley Road? Alan King Meersbrook Park Ave.,

Hi APPLEGRIM,

DAVIDED Here, I knew Barry Glyn very well, he and i were in the same game. Singing on the clubs and pubs. I also new Veronica and was in the same class as Christine Drew. Shame about Barry though.

Doing some research into the family tree - some relatives used to live at 174 Albert Road which does not exist now. Just wondered if anyone knew what happened to the house ? Thought it may have been bombed during the war or demolished for some other reason ?

Hi davided, yes it was terrible about Barry, he and I were very close for a number of years, although I hadn't seen him in a very long time so it was a complete shock, you must be a little younger than me then because Christine and I was also very good friends,in fact we were together when Barry first played at a club on Napier Street it might have been a room over a co-op, Jonny hawk and the Falcons were playing, she went out with Tony and I with Gerry,but I can remember Barry getting up to sing with them, they were good days then, singers did sometimes swop and change if anyone were ill, I can remember Joe Cocker singing with the Falcons in one pub in Chesterfield when John was ill, then driving back to his own gig in another pub in chesterfield during the break.I always thought Barry had quite a decent voice,did you know any of the others?

Hi davided, yes it was terrible about Barry, he and I were very close for a number of years, although I hadn't seen him in a very long time so it was a complete shock, you must be a little younger than me then because Christine and I was also very good friends,in fact we were together when Barry first played at a club on Napier Street it might have been a room over a co-op, Jonny hawk and the Falcons were playing, she went out with Tony and I with Gerry,but I can remember Barry getting up to sing with them, they were good days then, singers did sometimes swop and change if anyone were ill, I can remember Joe Cocker singing with the Falcons in one pub in Chesterfield when John was ill, then driving back to his own gig in another pub in chesterfield during the break.I always thought Barry had quite a decent voice,did you know any of the others?

Hi APPLEGRIM,

I was born in 1944 and went on the clubs in1962 as DAVE and the Deltones,was still singing up to two years ago when on doctors advice had to cut back a lot, still sing on karaokes now and again, Thursday nights in my local thats if im not at my caravan. I cant recall the singers you mentioned apart from Barry, last time i saw him it was in a pub up Dronfield, I was doing a solo spot that night after the Cadillacs remember them.Went solo in 1967, but for the last 10 years went into country as Kenny r, working a lot in CHESTERFIELD and LINCOLNSHIRE. Done a few gigs with GLEN DALE remember the FORTUNES well that was him

Hi again davided, the thing about the early sixties all these groups changed their names quite frequently, but the names I gave you went on to be the bitter suite,or the four corners or Dean Marshall and the deputys.I know Gerry is still playing but I don't know about the others, did you go on to country and western then? I think that was more Barry's style,are you in a caraven on Marsh Lane then?

Hi APPLEGRIM, I went on to country and western when Cades country was on radio sheff, i sent them a demo tape and they introduced me to an agent called Brian Pitt,and it took off from there.Only trouble with that game is travelling and being away from home all hours as my first marriage will testify.

Yes Barry,s style was C & W and people up the DRONFIELD area still talk about him with great affection.Im strictly the old C & W singer although i did sing some modern style,s Alan jackson, Keith whilley,Garth brooks, The Mavericks, The Eagles,etc. But give me Don Williams, Willie Nelson,that era any day. I still sing at home in my little studio as i call it and do a few gigs for the older generation (like us). I have a bungalow up Marsh Lane and a caravan in Lincoln my second home. I spend most of the summer down their coming home at weekends to cut lawns etc. My partner comes back home more than i do.I dont live far from the caravan park on marsh lane, don,t know if you know it or not, its near the Butchers Arms pub

Hi davided,it's strange really all us "old" rockers from the sixties,seem to now love C&W, we must have mellowed, i do know the caraven park on Marsh Lane, I wondered if you lived there,I have an old school friend in Canada who I still write to, and I envy her her lifestyle,during the week she lives in their apartment, and at weekends they go to the trailer which is in some woods and lakes near London Ontario, it sounds good to me,we are at an age where we've worked all our lives and paid out due's, so we should do just what we fancy, I wish.

Do you go fishing at the caravan,I've been down there a lot when I was young.

Anyhow we seem to have gone through our school years, then our teens and now "we" are the older generation,but give me back my teens anyday, youth is wasted on the young, they are still the happiest days of my life anyway.

Have a great time down in Lincoln, speak again soon

Hi APPLEGRIM. My caravan is on a nature reserve site and yes i do go fishing,thats my favourite passtime. It has seven lakes on it and an abudance of wild life.I also like photography so it siuts me down to the ground.Do you still have contact with Christine Drew if so i hope she is well .Give her my best whishes thats if she remembers me.Well im off fishing now talk to you when i returne.

I remember Golding he was like frankenstein,man was he big.

Hi Tosh. Ask your Jayne if she remembers Mr Golding setting his classroom on fire? He'd lit his pipe in the lunch hour, thrown the match in the wastebin and set it on fire; then the curtains caught, and the whole classroom went up. Luckily we were all in the dining room, so no-one was hurt. But the arrival of the fire-engines caused a stir. :D

Ok mate will ask her ,but I can remember the fire engines.it needed some new decor anyway LOL