Stirrings of life in former Gay Club on Attercliffe Road...

Was passing along Attercliffe Road this Wednesday when I noticed some builders' vans parked in the alleyway next to the long-boarded up MANHATTAN Dance Bar, and the front door of the premises was open, and I could catch a glimpse of the still very intact looking bar-counter (Or was it a new one?)

Manhattan was in its heyday a popular Gay disco/cabaret bar, until it closed about 4 years ago, and has been in a shabby, boarded up state ever since. Manhattan closed about the same time as the Planet, which briefly reopened as a (straight) poledancing club.

In my view, Attercliffe is a difficult place to embark on any venture aimed at the 'cafe society' or 'superclub' market, as it is generally a bleak, grimy, uninviting corner of town outside the bustle of the centre, hence the prevalence of a peculiar mixture of industrial workwear/tools shops, agencies, and Adult shops/saunas. I know of plenty such areas in other cities -e.g. Peckham, New Cross, or Elephant and Castle in South London, or Mile End Road in E. London.

Nonetheless, I would be grateful for any info from anyone who knows what might be happening with the old Manhattan, as it might be just signalling an upturn in Attercliffe's fortunes.

Attercliffe does have some fine Victorian and Art Deco buildings, such as the Adelphi, and I can visualise the time when it will become an attractive 'Brownfield' location for houses and apartments, but how soon that time will come is not clear.

Attercliffe's not too bad, to be honest. True that Attercliffe Road is a bit dodgy in terms of the sex shops, swingers club, bric-a-brac and industrial shops, etc, but the area is slowly getting better. The stadium's the big lure, of course, but there's two modern housing areas, one about 5 years old, and the other just being built just past the tram stop. They're all going to be 4/5/6 bedroom houses, if I remember right, and I figure there won't be many people except the very well paid that can afford them. Hopefully it'll be the start of something bigger/better for the area.

I remember the3 pubs on attercliffe when they were real pubs with real people always a bit rough but not like the degenerate wife swopping shirtlifting second hand dildo purchasing weirdoes that infest the place now.

You can never find a good thunderbolt when you need one.

I remember the3 pubs on attercliffe when they were real pubs with real people always a bit rough but not like the degenerate wife swopping shirtlifting second hand dildo purchasing weirdoes that infest the place now.

You can never find a good thunderbolt when you need one.

Nothing like a sweeping generalisation to lift the mood. :o

Hi

Just to stop any rumersand to let you all know, I am reopening the Manhattan Dance Bar re named MJ's and it is going to be a Karaoke bar. 100% Karaaoke and notinhg else the first and only one I think of its knid in Shefield. We are hoping to open early july. If anyone is intrested in joing our mailing list email details to info@attercliffeinns.co.uk. Website will be up and running shorlty and all info will be on there. http://www.mj-sheffield.com.

the degenerate wife swopping shirtlifting second hand dildo purchasing weirdoes that infest the place now.

QUOTE]

Youre saying that like its a bad thing.

Besides, you didnt say that when we were in the Salutation together back in 81.

A karaoke bar? Well well done to Darnall34.. the very best of luck and hope it works out. I work in Attercliffe next to Don Valley Stadium.. Its a busy area Attercliffe and Im sure you will get a lot of clients. All the best...