Jewellery in Sheffield in the 70's - Swaboda

I have a necklace from there also..... It's a gold/platinum ring pull with a diamond set off centre. Bought for me by an ex who said it was made especially as it reminded me of a coca-cola advert we saw on holiday in USA. I remember it cost a fortune but always starts a conversation when I wear it as it's so unusual...

Lawrence and Swoboda was started up by Steve Lawrence and Glen Swoboda.

Steve Lawrence started as silversmithing technician at Psalter Lane Art College. Some of the designs may have been "influenced" by students work there ;). I think their first shop was on Division Street before it become trendy

and that Steve had a workshop in the old "little mesters" places at the back.

I remember Glen having a red Corvette Stingray to cruise around town. They both did quite well out of the business.

i think mick crich crashed the corvette comeing home from fannys at owler bar

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi everyone!!

I have just signed up to let you know about Glen.

I am still a very good friend with Glen and he is still as weirdly wonderful as always. Glen is running a very successful driftwood business hand crafting some fantastic, unique furniture. Glen runs his business from Scarborough, I travel to see him regularly and his quirky creations. Hope this helps, Zara.

Swob's sister was called Alex. His Dad was a nice bloke, a plater and lived on the Manor.

Glenn and Steve both lived at Longshaw Lodge until around 1979. Glenn had a couple of Corvettes bought from Cambridge Motors one a collectable black Mako Shark. A Ferrari 246 Dino too!! He used to pick his girlfriend up from school in it...Steve had one of the first big BMW motorbikes.

Crich crashed his Transam at Totley butts and drove off through the farmers gate and off home.

ISTR that they had a shop on Eccy Rd? Between Hickmott and the Bar? They once had a fabulous opal/diamond ring in the window which I remember drooling over for several weeks, until it disappeared from the display

I still regret not buying it. :(

wern't that jack spencers