Sign in to follow this  

If THe fox hunting ban goes ahead will it be fishing next?

I have been pondering a question that if Fox hunting is banned on the grounds that it is a cruel sport,

Will fishing also come in to the lime light as it was scientificaly proved that fish do feel pain.

Would the Fox hunting ban set a presidence for the outlawing of fishing for sport and who would support such a ban?

Well if it is proven that fish feel pain then we ought to ban that also,you cant pick and choose which animals or mammals feel pain.

Either its cruel or it ain't.

Since the fox hunting thing turned into a class war, I've been asking questions. The validity of greyhound racing is one of them. Oh sorry. That's acceptable. Doesn't involve the landed gentry.

PS. I was anti-hunt BEFORE it got out of shape.

I thought that it had been proven that fish do not actually feel pain if hooked in the mouth?

I can't see the government banning something that they have poured so much money into, and is THE biggest participent sport in this country.

Also, if fishing is banned, who is going to fund the NRA etc and how are rivers and waterways around the country going to be maintained?

If fishing involved tearing up and down rivers chasing after fish and cornering them and bashing them to death, then yes, I would support a ban.

But, in fact, fishing involves sitting waiting for the fish to come to you, you catch those daft enough to bite your hook, you weight them and let them go.

Alive!

--

JGH

Oh, that makes mugging ok then? Lie in wait, have your sport, release the victim. Of course!

Originally posted by Strix

Since the fox hunting thing turned into a class war, I've been asking questions. The validity of greyhound racing is one of them. Oh sorry. That's acceptable. Doesn't involve the landed gentry.

PS. I was anti-hunt BEFORE it got out of shape.

It would seem to me that a domino effect could come into play here!

Horse racing could be classed as a cruel sport as some animals die from injuries sustained in this sport.

I don't see why dog racing should be ommited from this as it seems cruel to me that these dogs are chasing a mechanical rabbit that they would never catch.....lol

Where will it end? Grouse hunting where they are flushed out and shot for sport?

If you think about it all sports that involve animals could be judged as being cruel by some people.

Originally posted by DerekH

If you think about it all sports that involve animals could be judged as being cruel by some people.

Hm, Rugby's next on the list then?

Originally posted by Strix

Oh, that makes mugging ok then? Lie in wait, have your sport, release the victim. Of course!

Sorry Strix, i've got to disagree with you here. I and many other anglers actually have antiseptic ointments included in their equipment just in case a fish is harmed in the process of catching it, and i have never heard of mugging being a sport.

Thanks to the National Rivers Authority (Mostly funded by licence fees), our fish population has never been in a better condition and our rivers are now reletively clean, to the point where otters etc are starting to return to them.

Originally posted by vidster

Sorry Strix, i've got to disagree with you here. I and many other anglers actually have antiseptic ointments included in their equipment just in case a fish is harmed in the process of catching it, and i have never heard of mugging being a sport.

Thanks to the National Rivers Authority (Mostly funded by licence fees), our fish population has never been in a better condition and our rivers are now reletively clean, to the point where otters etc are starting to return to them.

That's a much better reasoned argument than jgharston's.

If so then what? Deep sea fishing, horse racing, dog racing, pigeon racing, hamster wheels, gold fish bowls, circuses!

Originally posted by Lickszz

, circuses!

hasn't that already been done?