Sign in to follow this  

If THe fox hunting ban goes ahead will it be fishing next?

Originally posted by Yodameister

Of course its nothing to do with Iraq - that's my point. If it wasn't for Iraq though, Blair would not have felt the need to expend so much effort on getting this through.

Of course two wrongs don't make a right in terms of not addressing fox hunting because worse things happen ie factory farming. BUT, if I was an MP who was concerned about animal welfare I know which one would concern me more, and which one I would spend more time campaigning on.

This is the third time it's been before the MPs and each time before now the House of Lords has blocked it. The timing is nothing to do with Iraq, we have been campaigning for this, with this government, since 1997, well before Iraq II.

As for MPs spending time campaigning for animal rights other than a hunting ban, they are. Remember a couple of summers ago when the rules governing transporting live animals were tightened? Or the banning of using animals for testing cosmetics, or the regulations governing the treatment of pigs? They were all campaings which were successfully concluded just not as well advertised by the press.

Things being referred to the upper house is the way our democracy works.

There should be a very good reason for pushing something through which the Lords have rejected. As far as I can see that reason has not been put forward yet, other than just saying well, the commons has voted in favour 3 times.

Originally posted by Yodameister

Things being referred to the upper house is the way our democracy works.

There should be a very good reason for pushing something through which the Lords have rejected. As far as I can see that reason has not been put forward yet, other than just saying well, the commons has voted in favour 3 times.

Whatever your views on fox-hunting, the government was elected after promising, among other things, to ban fox hunting. A vast majority of the MPs who have been elected by the public have voted in favour of a ban several times, and that in itself is a very good reason for pushing it through if the unelected Lords keep on rejecting it.

The unelected House of Lords is part of our democracy. Does the fact it is unelected mean that we are not a democracy?

If so, maybe Mr Bush might be in favour of a spot of "regime change" here, cos allegedly he is interested in promoting democracy.

If politics and policy really was about voting in a government to bring in a particular set of "promises" and then them doing it, we would be better off just having a series of referenda on every issue that comes up..

Fox hunting is barbaric passtime for toffs.

Originally posted by Yorkie

I agree it is a barbaric pastime... but that applies to all the people who do it, not just "toffs". Whether or not the person doing it is rich or poor, it is still just as cruel.

Yorkie, that statement typifies why I have sympathy for fox hunters - the people, not the practice.

I get the impression a lot of people are against it because "toffs" do it. Whereas if it was a good honest working class thing, like, ooh, to pick something at random, Fishing, they may not be so keen on banning it.

It should be about animal welfare, NOT class war.

Some of the best trout/ freshwater fisheries in England are owned by your so called 'toffs'.

Originally posted by Yorkie

I can't see you going out on a Grimsby trawler then Yorkie, and standing amongst a ton of riggling fish with one thumb in their eye whilst slitting their guts open and removing their livers into one jar and their roes into another and throwing the rest over the side for the seagulls. Then throw them (still wriggling) below!

Foxs hunting barbarity? Mere tiddlewinks to life on a trawler!

Enjoy your fish and chips! :P

Originally posted by max

As someone who gets involved with animal charities, rights etc., I can assure you that practices such as factory farming also have campaigns running to ban them. To not ban hunting on the grounds that it is no more cruel than battery farming is akin to saying we should not address poverty in Africa as there is far worse in India.

This ban has nothing to do with Iraq and everything to do with being part of the manifesto of 1997 on which this party was elected.

Would this be the same manifesto that promised tobacco sponsorship restrictions and advertisiing in motor racing?

I agree with the 2 posts above from Lickszz who says we should ban trawling and from DerekH who says we should ban tobacco advertising ... trawling and tobacco both cause terrible suffering!

But we should still ban fox-hunting as well!

trawling????where would the commercial fish come from???

don't think we could supply shops etc with men fishing with rod and line...stop trawling and stop YET ANOTHER INDUSTRY...

the farmers,the fishing......lets just kill off all english industry(not far to go know)...it seems to me that we are trying to destroy our own country....steel,miners,farmers,fishing etc.....