Stagecoach v First in Sheffield.

Yes its been done a thousand times, but it has to be re-iterated as I am shocked to the core!!! lol! I shall re-tell the past two days as a public transprt user!!!

Okay well yesterday I had an exam to go to. I intended to use the 120 to town, to get the tram to Don Valley. Then from Don Valley to town again and then on to Abbeydale road. So I bought a day ticket to use on both tram and bus. £2.70. Not bad. It turns out however that no stagecoach bus runs to Abbeydale road... there were three of us, so instead of paying £1.60 each with First to go from town to abbeydale, it worked out cheaper to flag down a taxi!!!

Today, I crawl to the bus stop on abbeydale road. I need to get into town, then get back out of town, then back to west st later on this evening. So I purchase a day saver. £4!!! :o I cannot believe it!!! :o Thats ludicrous!

So I ask... why are the people of sheffield not voting with their feet? Stagecoach is way cheaper so why not boycott First? If enough people did it for a set period of time, they'd be forced to reduce their prices, surely. :huh:

I know for those stuck out on abbeydale road, as I were, theres little choice, but really something has to be done!!! :o

How long has it cost £4 to use the bus for the day? I must be stuck in another era because that price is beyond reasonable when Stagecoach let you use the bus and tram for £2.70! :o

/Sorry, rant over... I'm just hungover and in shock!

Stagecoach 52s don't run on a Sunday, or late into the evening, and no Stagecoach buses run on Abbey Lane/Beauchief (where t'parentals live) - plus there's no legroom on the old terrier buses!

Sunday is the day I'd like to go to the cinema, so I'm forced to spend £4.50 on a daytripper or walk from crookes high street to the university, get a tram and walk back up...

Sucks.

If Stagecoach could extend their service to a level where it ran all the time, then I'd be more than happy to use them. Alas, I'm stuck with First.... and my bank balance gently weeps.....

Stagecoach 52s don't run on a Sunday, or late into the evening, and no Stagecoach buses run on Abbey Lane/Beauchief (where t'parentals live) - plus there's no legroom on the old terrier buses!

Sunday is the day I'd like to go to the cinema, so I'm forced to spend £4.50 on a daytripper or walk from crookes high street to the university, get a tram and walk back up...

Sucks.

If Stagecoach could extend their service to a level where it ran all the time, then I'd be more than happy to use them. Alas, I'm stuck with First.... and my bank balance gently weeps.....

Stagecoach introduced an evening service on the 120 on a commercial basis some months ago. If this proves worthwhile, they may introduce an evening service on some of their other routes, but remember that many of First's evening and sunday routes are tendered - First wouldn't entertain running them on a commercial basis.

Stagecoach Sheffield's predecessor 'Sheffield Omnibus' ran the 52 commercially in the evenings during the early - mid 1990s, as they did many other routes, so anything is possible.

Agree with you about the legroom though, it is nothing less than shocking on some models, meaning when I visit the City I either have to sit sidewards across two seats, or sit at the very back or on a granny seat at the front. These buses were inherited by Stagecoach with the Traction Group business, which went for a quantity rather than quality approach. Stagecoach's own specification uses better individual seats which have much more legroom between them, so i'm sure that this will improve over time

i got on a mainline bus the other day and the driver wouldnt let me on because i asked for eccy road and he didnt acknowledge that place. He wouldnt let me on because eccy road doesnt exist, at first i thought he was mental then he started kicking off saying its insulting to "his" city and his area to pronounce it that way. He said ive lived here all my life so you should respect that, i also explained that i have lived here all my life so whats the difference. All that just to get a single to Ecclesal Road, i told him to shove his pronunciation up his a** and i jumped on a stagecoach instead, not only was it cheaper but i wasnt questioned when asking for a single to eccy road. I really didnt see this as a major problem but im sure some people will think the same......wierdo's

Was on a 51 this morning (First) on my way out of town. As ever, it stopped long enough outside the Lyceum for us all to have a good snooze (they like the queues to build up in High Street).

When we finally got to High Street, about 20 people got on and we're ready to go, I thought.

Oh no. Some bird who'd been stuffing her face with Sheffield's Fave Delicacy - a jumbo Gregg's Sausage Roll - got on and started chatting to the driver. For 10 minutes.

She was obviously impervious to a bus-load of people glaring at her.

Timetable? What timetable?

Stagecoach are planning a regular bus link from Stocksbridge to Middlewood Park & Ride. People travelling in to work from Stocksbridge will be able to buy a megarider for £9.50 and not have to worry about driving as the bus will connect with the tram. Much cheaper than the current £3.50 daily parking fee. Heard this at the area panel meeting last night. Stagecoach must feel this is a good commercial proposition.

the 120 route run by stagecoach is good, and as a student i like the fact i can catch it a 00:45 in't centre to go home for 50p.

If i however wish to travel to another area, and nearly any other after 6pm, the first day saver is the best ticket on offer.

Walking can be an attractive alternative option also. e.g. manor top to lowedges, by bus it takes two journeys, which normally take longer than an hour. On foot it roughly takes an hour and on the plus side is free.

stagecoach are making improvements and i use them whenever i can as an alternative to first, but first do currently provide a better service. if they want to hold their monopoly, they need to introduce circular routes outside of the centre

first do currently provide a better service

sorry to be pedantic but first do NOT provide a better service they merely provide a more comprehensive service. They are crap, but do it to more places.

sorry to be pedantic but first do NOT provide a better service they merely provide a more comprehensive service. They are crap, but do it to more places.

they aren't crap, just over priced