Has anyone been followed by a Store Detective?

But if they are as hamfisted at this as they often are they can end up putting good customers like me coming back and spending more money because they object to being hovered over by a jumped up idiot in a peaked cap.

Wear summat other than your turquiose shellsuit then!;)

Maybe it's because they are doing the proactive, non-covert job they get paid to do.

You know, the job that helps the decent people like you and me from having to pay higher prices.

Just a thought....

Ah, but they didn't appear to stalk the middle class types that used to go into Safeway...... I am a fat, female biker with the attire that goes with biking, leather, helmet, gloves.....I don't look like your average middle aged female. I was out of place in Safeway, perhaps from my appearance the idiot thought I should be shopping in Netto. I believe he made a judgement based on my appearance and for that the got some mischief from me.

Interesting... With regards to the post on the 17th May when was you followed round? Was it within the last fortnight?

Im glad to see whoever pointed out that people like me are paid to be a visual detterant, and if that means following people about then so be it. I have been doing this job for years, and you get a feeling for those you should follow. Just think if you go into other stores it may be a CCTV operator following you!

Try doing the job before you grumble if you have nothing to hide then whats the big deal?!

Interesting... With regards to the post on the 17th May when was you followed round? Was it within the last fortnight?

Im glad to see whoever pointed out that people like me are paid to be a visual detterant, and if that means following people about then so be it. I have been doing this job for years, and you get a feeling for those you should follow. Just think if you go into other stores it may be a CCTV operator following you!

Try doing the job before you grumble if you have nothing to hide then whats the big deal?!

If you are referring to my post no, it wasn't within the last fortnight because I very rarely use that store now due to strongly objecting to being followed around in a store where I am spending £50 - £70 on a regular basis. If I'm being CCTVed elsewhere - fine - I've nothing to hide. But I do find being followed around very intimidating - it's not a very pleasant shopping experience don't you think?. And no I don't wear a shellsuit, have a mohican, multiple piercings or tattoos or anything else to make be stand out as "suspicious" or "unusual". Not that that necessarily means anything; I once saw a TV programme about a woman that was a professional shoplifter, targeting M&S in particular. She looked and acted exactly like your average, middle aged, middle class M&S customer. Which is exactly why she was so successful!

If you "get a feeling" about people you should follow, you must be getting a the wrong feeling about a heck of a lot of people because I've known several law abiding people complaining about the same thing!

not very good store dec if u saw him following you.

nowhere in my post did it say about having a feeling about stereotypical groups. Of course im going to keep a eye on the scratters, but there is alot more to it than someones appearance. Things such as body language, the manner of the shopping, signs of drug/alcohol abuse.... I could go on all day.

Im not saying all burglars go round dressed in black and white outfits with a bag over the shoulder but the ones that do are easier to spot :hihi: . Any decent security officer would not just take looks into account.

nowhere in my post did it say about having a feeling about stereotypical groups. Of course im going to keep a eye on the scratters, but there is alot more to it than someones appearance. Things such as body language, the manner of the shopping, signs of drug/alcohol abuse.... I could go on all day.

Im not saying all burglars go round dressed in black and white outfits with a bag over the shoulder but the ones that do are easier to spot :hihi: . Any decent security officer would not just take looks into account.

The problem though is that certain people in your position become over zealous to the point of scaring off real customers. Personally I don't go back to stores for repeat business if I've been followed round by some silly chuff in their "security personnel". I go to a store that uses more sophisticated security precautions.

I call these people - Rent-A-Cops ;)

I think they are just doing their job at the end of the day and good luck to them.

I don't find it that insulting when followed, but then I've no reason to be jumpy and have never shoplifted in my life. If they want to make sure I have a safe and secure shopping experience then they can feel free to do so, it's like having my own bodygaurd :D

Follow up on my original post- After I sent an e-mail to Superdrug complaining about my treatment in store, I am pleased to say that I have received a lovely letter back from them appologising and assuring me that the matter will be taken further. After reading all posts it is clear that people have very different opinions about this topic. I myself have no problem with store detectives if they are doing their job discreetly but its when they are standing 3 feet away from you and following you all round the store that I start to object. I actually once a few years ago reported a man who was acting very suspiciously to a member of staff and it turns out that he was the store detective. Is there actual training involved in this type of work or are you just told to follow people around?

All security staff will have to pass the SIA stuff, but as for training I guess that would be down the company the employs them.

I hope you are sure it was a store detective following you and not some other person because you may have just got someone in to trouble.

To be honest, if they follow you or appear to follow you then surely you approach them and ask why? I think complaining in this instance may have sadly got someone in to trouble for doing their job.

If it was an ordinary customer then they would not have got into trouble then would they, as they would of left the store after making there purchases and if it was a store detective then surely some action is needed, dont we all have the right to shop in a happy environment which does not involve us been treated like a criminal, I am not sure if you are refering to my original post or the above one?